Licensed Floyd Rose Issue

Updated
DeathrollJM
So my M-207 is always going out of tune after bends or just aggressive playing. When you move the bridge it doesn't return to the resting position it goes somewhere just flat or sharp of the resting point. The extreme can go up to a half step flat or sharp of where the note is supposed to be. It has to be something between the springs or strings. Strings have had a few months on them, and ever since i put them on its been an issue, well its always been an issue with this guitar since I got it. They are stretched and broken in. But either them or the springs are somehow unbalanced or there is something preventing them from floating freely. Nothing is in the way, no debris, nothing. Maybe bad springs?
ozzuk1

might need more springs but it's more likely that the knife edges are worn...

Most LFR's tend to wear out after a few years of heavy abuse, and the m-207 is from 02-03 right...

Take the trem out and check the knife edges, if ther are any cracks on the semi circle's or any wear of any sort that would likely cause the bridge to not quite return to zero, how many springs are you using?

DeathrollJM

well Ist standard for me to check that and last string change i checked. What seems to be a plaguing issue for me with LTD guitars is that the bridging mounts are always crooked. I don't know if it is from soft wood or some idiot in the factory not drilling the holes straight down, but on both my F-50 and M-207 (keep in mind one is a TOM and the other a floyd) the mounting stud are crooked. The F-50 looks like it was drilled in wrong because it leans over in a direction away from string pull, but the m-207 leans in the direction opposite of the knife, as in the tension of the bridge has warped the wood inside.

I can;t tell though because as soon as I remove the metal piece and stick a cylindrical object the same size of the hole it comes out perfectly up, with the metal piece in (where the stud drill into) everything, including pencils, come out crooked.

still the knife sits in the pocket on the stud, but since te stud is crooked I don't know how that effects its return.

I am using 3 springs, the tension is balanced and since its a 7 string with that much tension it is almost impossible to use the whammy since the tension from both sides is pretty strong. I do notice that when i use 9's they return closer to zero where as the 10's I have on it now will be usually over a half step off. When you play its constantly going sharp and flat.

and it was built in the first quarter of 1999 I believe, I bought it used back in 2004 and even then the studs weren't aligned correctly. maybe that why the guy wanted to get rid of it on ebay for only $200, the same price I payed for my F-50 brand new 2 years later.

ozzuk1

Could be an idea to have the stud hole filled and redrilled straighter, however if they work better with nine's could just be a need for some ultra fine tuning...

However if the studs are slightly crooked that would mean that returning to zero is harder for the bridge...

I believe that most people when redrilling the studs stick a dowel with glue sand it down then redrill if you havent got the will to do this yourself or a pillar/press drill then i'd advise finding a luthier to do it...

Have you contemplated ordering an ofr 7 and just redoing the holes for that and new studs?

I know warmoth sell a lo pro 7 trem that is japanese and supposedly quite good...

Good luck man I would think the 207 is basswood adn my old m-202 had fairly soft basswood, had the strap buttons strip a few times...

DeathrollJM

well i think the holes in in correctly, I would have to buy this new metal piece that sits inside the holes. I have no clue where to get a hold of them or what they are called, and i have not seen them on any other Floyd but mine. When you take it out and look at it, it is crooked and bent up, and I have tried bending it back but its too thick.

I really don't want to go out and buy a new floyd since just about any floyd would cost me more than i paid for the guitar, i think it might actually be easier to pull out that metal piece and get real sink that the stud fits into and put that directly into the wood.

any place i could get individual parts for a floyd? most places that i have found the only way to get the small parts is to buy a whole new set and i don;t have the money to do that, nor would i want to put that much money on a guitar that isn't worth it especially when it can be an cheap fix.

ozzuk1

You should be able to buy locking studs from parts places I know WD sell their own studs, they may or may not be good But they are cheap enough that they should be ok..

I think the problem is the cheap lfr bar that My M-202 had, it goes between each stud if you remove that and the studs redrill and replace them with stand alone ones your problem should go away.

DeathrollJM

that is what i was talking about, the bar that the studs fit into is crooked and i want to get just the individual piece that sinks down into the wood for the stud to sit inside.

ozzuk1

I think it would be better to replace the bar tbh i've never seen any decent floyd have them...

And then redrill or replace the studs for better ones.

The studs should only cost a little, I doubt it will ever be right with the studs having a crooked bar connecting them...

good luck

Post to Thread