GraphTech Saddles for My Strat - Is It Worth It???

Updated
GraphTech Saddles for My Strat - Is It Worth It???
Im currently getting a order together from Allparts, and im concidering a set of GraphTech saddles for my Highway 1 Strat, the Vintage style saddles are starting to be a little annoying when palm muting and such. Would Grapth Tech saddles sort this out??? If so what ones should i go with??? Thanks again.
Sixstringhotshot

What do you mean annoying? And what exactly do you want sorted out?

OutlawTorn

one of my buddies has a mexican strat that he had the saddles re done with the string savers and swears by them

Curt Daddy

i'd say it is well worth it imperium.

my best friend put some on his jimmie vaughan strat and his strings almost never break at the bridge, the strings last longer overall, and the tone improved somewhat as well.

as far as the whole annoying when palm muting thing, I dont get.

i'd highly reccommend them.

Sixstringhotshot

I don't have graphite anything on any of my guitars, and my strings never break anywhere (including the bridge). 8o

SYL

I don't have graphite anything on any of my guitars, and my strings never break anywhere (including the bridge). 8o

You're also using bridge cables for strings aren't ya? :p That might contribute to why they never break. ;)

I put some graph-tech saddles on one of my tunamatic bridges a couple of years ago to check 'em out. They definitely did prolong string life, but I did not like how they alter the feel of the strings under your hand. It's hard to explain, but to me it felt/sounded like the strings were more muffled and less bright/responsive.

I'd found myself altering my picking technique to make up for the lack of attack. I eventually switched them back to steel saddles and just make sure that there are no burrs every so often.

Sixstringhotshot

11-58 on 27" scale is pretty high tension, and I pick literally as hard as I can with Jazz III's. I'd think those two factors would at the very least contradict the strength of bigger strings. Even when I used 10-46, I never really had breakage problems. The 10's broke when they got old and rusty, while my current 11's don't, but I don't really count that as breakage problems...that was caused by laziness :lol

El Jefe

the problem with palm muting on a vintage trem is the saddle height screws dig into your palm.
i think getting the newer style saddles and cutting down the screws is the solution to your problems

ESPimperium

^^^ Some one got what i was meaning.

Its not because of string breakage, its because of the fact i just cant adiquatly palm mute the notes on the trem of my Strat the same way i can on my EC-1K. Its because of the screws being "in the way" and hindering the palm mute.

marauder

^^^ Some one got what i was meaning.

Its not because of string breakage, its because of the fact i just cant adiquatly palm mute the notes on the trem of my Strat the same way i can on my EC-1K. Its because of the screws being "in the way" and hindering the palm mute.

If its the height adjustment screws that are the issue then different saddles wont solve it. The screws will be in the same positions when you change the saddles.

Curt Daddy

ah, I have more modern style saddles on my strat.

El Jefe

i'd say the string savers are what you are looking for

ESPimperium

Im gonna go for the Vintage Chrome ones with the insert to keep the look and tone, but also get the function i want.

KH Guitar Freak

You could try some better quality vintage saddles, they are probably smoother and more reliable...

Fikealox

There're three different lengths of grub screw, iirc. Should be simple enough to find some and buy shorter ones :)

Bouncepogo

Tape Hands

esp_gaijin

file down then sand down the saddle screws.

i notice this problem on mexi / mij / etc. strats, and don't seem to run into it on usa strats -- both with vintage bridges,

i am guessing the usa ones they take time to adjust saddle screws to fit the saddle better on the usa ones.

Post to Thread