is mahogani lighter than maple?

Updated
andrei
yes, i'm going to the neck-dive issue again... may the wood used in the neck (maple/mahogani) make the weight difference for EX/EXPs to be/not neckheawy?
Fikealox

maple is heaps heavier than mahogany, in my experience.

nameless

Maple is the heavier wood. But neck heavy-ness depends more on the placement of the strap buttons and the shape of the body in my experience.

andrei

yeah, i ment it the other way round, but your answers explained it.

thanks!

TheDevilHimself

Please specify which wood of the mahogany family you actually mean and then we'll sort out which maple you mean :p

Jk

Not to spoil the answer, but there are literally dozens of different types of mahogany nowadays and they are all labeled as the same wood for instrument buyers (the mahogany family includes something like 500 different species!!!). That means weight can vary drastically depending whether your "mahogany" came from an African or an Asian tree.

Fikealox

Yeah, good call. The mahogany Gibson uses is particularly heavy, (apparently), which is why they swiss-cheese it.

sirsloop

The neck dive thing is from the front strap location. If there is too much weight in front of that point the neck goes down. FYI, my viper 400 was a little heavier than my old epi les paul. My all maple (minus ebony fretboard) kitty strat with a nice carvin neck and schaller locking tuners is pretty fin heavy too!

Fikealox

It's a pretty subjective question, but Honduras mahogany is definitely expensive and sought after

andrei

It's a pretty subjective question, but Honduras mahogany is definitely expensive and sought after

yeah, i know, but i got the idea.
thanks!

Post to Thread