output problem

Updated
Metalmilitia306
i have a Ibanez PGM100 and when i plug in and play there is little to no out put at all on it. The problem isnt the amp because it sounds fine on my M-II. ive tried replacing the pot and the sound is the same. any suggestions?
ScytheMan

did you recently replace the pickup?

Metalmilitia306

nope, everything is stock.

Metalmilitia306

is it possible for pickups to "stop" working

ScytheMan

is the jack on teh guitar loose

Metalmilitia306

nope its in perfectly

ScytheMan

yeah very possible. you should see if it is still under waranty and get it checked out

Metalmilitia306

its a really old ibanez from like 96 or something its actually my friends

TheDevilHimself

You need a special tuning fork to "restart" the pickups. I can send you one if you Paypal me 100£.

andrei

it might just be a wireing issue.
you should check it out.

if you dont feel confident, let a tech handle it.

it may just be a bad wire/soldering, doesn' have to be the pickup(s).

good luck!

Justinschut

change the battery :p

j/k

pics ? gotta love PGMs

Fikealox

It's unlikely to be the pickups. For all three pickups to have gone bad (which is what I inferred from your post) in such a extreme fashion is very unlikely.

Did it just suddenly stop working, or was it after someone fiddled with the wiring that it stopped working?

In the former case, it's more likely a faulty component than faulty wiring. In the latter case, it could be something as simple as the pot having been wired in incorrectly, or the output being shorted to earth.

Before you do anything, check that the wiring conforms is exactly the same as a wiring guide says it should be. Good ones, with visual-style pictures, can be found on the Seymour Duncan website.

For the most thorough faultfinding: since you changed the pot, I assume you can solder, so try this: unsolder the pickups from the pot, and solder them one at a time straight to output. If each works, then they're not the problem. Then solder one of the pots in, if it works, same deal. Then the other pot(s) and the switch in turn, checking after each. You can go straight to the more likely culprits (like the selecter switch) to save time, though - just do it in a logical order :)

If you have a multimeter, you can test each component easily enough to save some soldering, too.

njrusmc

+1 to the multimeter. Check the continuity of the individual wires too. I used to solder in a factory and you would be surprised at the frequency in which wires were not electrically continuous (maybe 1/1000 was defective, which is very high considering most people assume that wires work).

Metalmilitia306

thanks, ill check all the joints to see if they are connected properly. you guys are right its unlikely that all 3 pickups will go bad.

Metalmilitia306

yes i checked, everything is in tact

Metalmilitia306

YES, IM DONE! i just fineshed re wiring it and its working beautifully. thanks for the help guys

Post to Thread