Changing tunings often.

Updated
Changing tunings often.
i remember this being asked sometime ago, but anyways: Does changing tunings often from say C to E std affect the neck on a fixed bridge guitar? My guess is no, but what do you guys think?
57Octane

My guess would be no. You can apparently leave a guitar without strings for long periods of time and not have to worry about too much. So I would think, you could probably change tuning without much problem. Though, if you've got think ass strings for C and your tuning up to E with them... I would think that might do something, even if it's not much. It just sounds like it should do something you now? But then, I'm a "n00b" anyway, so what do I know?:p

MV-CTM

yeah the neck bow will be different because of the different tension

sirsloop

It'll change the intonation a little. Alternatively you can just go from Standard-E to Drop D and play that way... or Standard D (DGCFAD) down to Drop-C when you want to play metal. The fingering is the same... just won't change the tension so much cause you are only changing one string.

sirsloop

Yeah... speaking of which I just popped the high string on my Les Paul from doing just this.

LordCliffton

i remember this being asked sometime ago, but anyways:
Does changing tunings often from say C to E std affect the neck on a fixed bridge guitar?

My guess is no, but what do you guys think?

It will only adversely affect the neck if each time you change strings you change the GUAGE of the strings from say a .009 set to a .012 set. More steel = more tension period. But if you had it set up true to begin with then it shouldn't make too much difference in the short run.

My advice? Spend $300-ish and get yourself a beater to put in the tuning you play in the LEAST.

Peace

ampartic

You'll most likely have to slightly adjust your truss rod and intonate again due to the different tension. Its easiest to just have different guitars setup for different tunings. You avoid having to resetup your guitar everytime you feel like switching tunings or gauges.

sirsloop

Moar Guitars!!! Yay!

ScytheMan

it shouldn't

Post to Thread