What makes a good flame/quilt top?

Updated
capoeiraesp
I'm not the most knowledgable regarding what makes a great piece of wood, though I have a good eye for appreciating a nice top. As far as I can tell nicer or more expensive flame tops have a greater amount of 'flames' so to speak i.e. older piece of wood which like an old person has collapsed on itself more and created a finer, closer flame. Lookin for a bit more information...
Bridge The Void

Its usually the thickness of the top which determines how "nice" it looks - a really thin bit of veneer wont have much detail, whereas a nice thick figured piece of quilted maple will just look gorgeous. Bookmatching also helps with the overall effect.

capoeiraesp

Correct me if i'm wrong but book matching is where they split the piece of wood down the centre (from the top) to get a symmetrical look?

Bridge The Void

I don't know the exact process involved, but yes - its where two pieces are matched up so that its as symmetrical as possible.

sp1ke

what makes good quilt/flame is consistency of pattern and perceived depth

hermz

As far as I can tell nicer or more expensive flame tops have a greater amount of 'flames' so to speak
I don't think it has anything to do with the number of lines in the wood, but more the consistency/symmetry and depth of the figure as sp1keNARF mentioned.

Post to Thread