Incoming NGD: 1998 Navigator NX (ESP MX-220 shape)!

Updated
Sumit A.

So I'm an idiot and bought another guitar with no time to play my existing guitars!

Anyway, want to share my latest incoming axe, a quite rare 1998 Navigator NX!

From what I can tell this is essentially an ESP MX-220 but with a pickguard, extra volume knob, different pickups, and a nitro finish. It's even got the "tulip" style trussrod cover characteristic of the MX-220's. As a Navigator it was definitely made in the same facility by the same craftsmen as the original MX-220's and MX-250's.

I suppose it's possible that it's a 1988 based on the serial number, but my assumption from the Navigator catalogs I can find is that it's a 1998. Another reason for that assumption is that the neck heel has no "step" from the neck to the body, and the earliest MX-220's do have that.

I'm considering putting EMG-81's in it and changing the hardware to gold to make it an "MX-220 in 1958 Explorer clothing). Not sure yet!

https://reverb.com/item/62853501-navigator-n-ex-guitar-used

Sumit A.

I've been trying to properly date this guitar and I'm having trouble with it. Serial number indicates Dec 17, 19X8.

If I'm reading the CTS pot code right I think it's 47th week or 1988? Might not be the correct pot code layout.

The only Navigator catalog I've been able to see with a similar model is the 1993 catalog showing the NX-215.

Curious if anyone can give some more help on whether this is a 1988 or a 1998! Neck specs seem to be more ESP MX than modern Navigator N-EX (i.e. 44mm nut instead of 42mm. Feels like 15" fretboard radius).

Sumit A.

Oh, and one of the headstock with the "tulip" truss rod cover

Post to Thread