Why can't I order custom MX-250 from the USA Custom Shop?

Updated
Veli H.

I know about the potential lawsuit problem with Gibson, but as far as I know, there hasn't been a lawsuit about this body shape. I know there is a risk and people want to avoid it, but as a USA resident, it's very tedious to order this shape from the Japanese custom shop. If I were to ask for a MX-250 from the USA custom shop, will I be auto-rejected, or is there a chance that they will do this right now, given that there hasn't been an official lawsuit so far, at least as far as I know?

ESPEXP

You will be auto-rejected. This shape still falls under the Gibson lawsuit since it is still very similar to their explorer. Sorry, but the Japan custom shop MX-2 is the only way to get one or on the used market.

ESPEXP

...also it's not a potential "lawsuit", there WAS a Gibson lawsuit already and they WON so ESP had to stop producing explorers in 1999.

Veli H.

I didn't know—thanks for clarifying!

Veli H.

Quick follow-up—it's still legal to import the MX-2 to the US, right? There shouldn't be any legal issues since it wasn't technically sold in the US?

ESPEXP

I haven't had a problem importing any.

Davis H.

Also, the USA shop is not a Custom Shop, they're more like semi-custom or option builds of certain models that they offer

Manu K.

So what’s the process to go about ordering and importing this from Japan? Excuse the naïve question, but I’m just starting to learn how difficult it is to get hold of one of these, and not break your bank in the process.

Apaman

They stopped taking MX-2 orders in 2020 and made the last ones in 2021. They even stopped making Edwards versions of MX (E-EX-125D) but they are still making ”Gibson copies” aka E-EX-120D. Sad but true.

Manu K.
Apaman wrote:

They stopped taking MX-2 orders in 2020 and made the last ones in 2021. They even stopped making Edwards versions of MX (E-EX-125D) but they are still making ”Gibson copies” aka E-EX-120D. Sad but true.

It doesn’t make sense to me that they’d stop the 125D and not the 120D. The 125 looks amazing.

I guess I’m on my own then and would just have to mod a gibson explorer until it gets close enough.

Anthony M.

I have an ESP EXP that I may be willing to sell. 

Manu K.
Anthony M. wrote:

I have an ESP EXP that I may be willing to sell. 

I seem to not have the ability to private message people on this forum. But, interested in your offer so PM me if you can. Thanks.

David  M.

I have never had any issues importing anything.

vex 6

Michel A.

Most awaited Heropanti 2 2022 has released.Heropanti 2 is a forthcoming 2022 Indian Hindi film. The film is really a heartfelt activity film and is a continuation of the 2014 film Heropanti. Download Heropanti 2 Full Movie in Hindhi 4kHD

Post to Thread