Buying an MX-220 or MX-250 in Japan

Updated
Metallicfever316

Hey everyone,

James Hetfield is my biggest influence and I've always wanted an all-black ESP explorer, particularly one in the MX-220 or MX-250 style. I know you can't get one of these in the USA, but I do have plans to travel to Japan within a year, so I was thinking about heading to a custom shop over there and having one built and bringing it back here. 

My questions are:

1. I've heard about a "Big Boss" shop in Tokyo. Would this shop be able to build the guitar for me?

2. How long would it take?

2a. I doubt I could stay in Japan for more than 2 weeks, so if it were to take longer than that, I figure I'd have to order the guitar ahead of time and pick it up while I'm over there. If so, how would I go about contacting the shop?

3. What's a general price range for the guitar I should expect nowadays?

Thanks guys and have a nice day!

Dominic D.

It would take months to build. And would cost about $5000 easy

ccart

I have heard of someone going into the big boss ESP shop and buying an MX off the shelf as they keep some available...but I don't know how you could check in advance or if they still do this.

You might also be able to find one in one of the many guitar shops over there, it might be new or it might be second hand.

If you did go in an place an order for a custom built one you'll be waiting months for it, maybe even a year, and you'd need to go pick it up as they wouldn't ship it to the USA.

Also remember if you do find one you'll still need to find a way of exporting it back to the USA, whether that's carrying it on the plane with you or posting it back to yourself with a courier.

HateEvent

I got mine custom ordered from Big Boss in Ochanomizu in 2017. Took 5 months to be ready. 

If you want a custom spec you need a Japanese postal/zip code to order it. If you are fine with the conventional MX-II spec most of the shops in Ochanomizu or Shibuya have them hanging on the walls. 

You can’t buy/order a 220 shape, only a 250. 

Runeblade

Hey, I just came upon this forum post as I am also very interested in buying a MX-250. The standard MX-II models seem to be pretty close to what most people are looking for, just with no rosewood board available. In any case, you mentioned that custom orders require a Japanese address/zipcode, and I'm assuming you are not from Japan. How did you get your custom order done, if you don't mind sharing?

HateEvent
Runeblade wrote:

Hey, I just came upon this forum post as I am also very interested in buying a MX-250. The standard MX-II models seem to be pretty close to what most people are looking for, just with no rosewood board available. In any case, you mentioned that custom orders require a Japanese address/zipcode, and I'm assuming you are not from Japan. How did you get your custom order done, if you don't mind sharing?

Hi Josh,

I had a friend living in Japan (with address etc) go into the shop on my behalf. 

Runeblade
HateEvent wrote:

Hi Josh,

I had a friend living in Japan (with address etc) go into the shop on my behalf.

That makes perfect sense and was pretty much what I expected you to say. I am not totally familiar with the specs on the MX-II models, do you mind if I ask what you specified for your custom order that was different from a standard MX-II? Besides the rosewood fretboard.

Lewis_08

As HateEvent states they take 5 months, I have bought a standard item off the shelf in 2008 and last year ordered one to be as close to an MX220 as pos. 

Mesa Sean
HateEvent wrote:

I got mine custom ordered from Big Boss in Ochanomizu in 2017. Took 5 months to be ready. 

If you want a custom spec you need a Japanese postal/zip code to order it. If you are fine with the conventional MX-II spec most of the shops in Ochanomizu or Shibuya have them hanging on the walls. 

5 months? Damn. My custom ordered MXII-CTM's took about a year to make. But then again they had all custom spec's and are way different than a regular MX-250.

HateEvent
Mesa Sean wrote:

5 months? Damn. My custom ordered MXII-CTM's took about a year to make. But then again they had all custom spec's and are way different than a regular MX-250.

What was the spec you went for at the time Sean?

Mesa Sean
HateEvent wrote:

What was the spec you went for at the time Sean?

Both were Honduran Mahogany bodies, 3 piece maple necks, rosewood fret board, sperzel tuners, EMG 60/81, bell shaped truss rod covers (That took some serious convincing lol) and hardshell cases. They are nicely worn in now as I have played so many gigs and I love them to death. Recored albums with them etc. Always my go-to guitars.

You still have the S and Key Hanny I sold ya?

William P.

These look great, may i ask for how much did you sold that?

Mesa Sean
William P. wrote:

These look great, may i ask for how much did you sold that?

I still have both and are not selling them.

4004cii

Hey Guys 

New to the forums. I've been looking to get a JH2

I'm guessing that's probably out of the question with the custom shop.

Do you think they would consider putting on the diamond plate as part of a custom option

Thanks 

RH
4004cii wrote:

Hey Guys 

New to the forums. I've been looking to get a JH2

I'm guessing that's probably out of the question with the custom shop.

Do you think they would consider putting on the diamond plate as part of a custom option

Thanks 

Drum City Guitar Land has an ESP EXP with diamond plate on it. It’s the exact same guitar as the JH2, minus the inlays and Hetfield stuff. It’s not on their website so you’ll have to call them. It’s been a while so hopefully they still have it. Good luck!! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmMilA4nMWA/?igshid=ygmd8jbc1me4

4004cii

Thanks heaps RH 

Will make an inquiry

RH
4004cii wrote:

Thanks heaps RH 

Will make an inquiry

You’re welcome! Keep us posted. 

mulysa

if u visit bigboss , keep an eye for edwards explorer ex110 or ex125. they were better than the ltd explorer. price is quite reasonable too. the shape follows exactly mx250

Riddle L.

That would probably be impossible with the custom store, in my opinion 

helen d.

Geometry Dash is levels are designed with creativity and precision. Each one offers a unique set of challenges and surprises, ensuring that no two levels feel the same.

Post to Thread