Difference between ESP's Tokyo Factory & Standard Factor?

Updated
Difference between ESP's Tokyo Factory & Standard Factor?

Hi guys,

I know ESP has changed their serial numbers once more, so that the last digit tells you where it's made (I would have kept the previous method..), and we all know their Custom Shop is top of the cream, represented at the end by number 1 in the serial.

But what I'd like to know is, is what the difference of their Tokyo Factory (serial end number 2) has to their Standard Factory (end number 3)? I've seen their guitars with a Custom Shop stamp at the heel of the neck where it had 'Original Series' on top the world map, and in the serial it had 2 at the end instead of 1, so are these guitars then still Custom Shop guitars but made in their Tokyo Factory?

I know this post should maybe be in the Ask ESP section, but it's more of a Custom Shop question..

Anyone have any info on this?

Greetz,

Andrew

HateEvent

The Tokyo factory is still custom shop. I'm not sure which is which, but it is essentially like '2' being the old 'K' shop, and '1' being the 'N' shop, where some of the more "out there" stuff would be made. 

I recently custom ordered an MX-II with a few changes in spec from the standard order - that was made in the Tokyo shop (2). If going for a crazy one off with extremely varied spec (say a V with an all maple body and a particularly intricate inlay), that would likely be a '1'.

I imagine some Custom Shop signature models (KH-3 Neck Thru, Hanneman Urban Camo etc.) will still be Tokyo builds.

Andrew W.

ok thanks for your answer.  And congratz on your custom shop MX-II. \m/ 

Post to Thread