Incoming LTD AS-1 FR

Updated
Incoming LTD AS-1 FR

I have a few nice Les Pauls I've gathered and enjoyed over the years. Always wanted one with a FR just to have in the bag of tricks. I good friend of mine picked up a Silverburst LTD AS1 a few years back and I got to play it a few times and was impressed. One of the Aqua bursts came up with a floyd so I took a chance. I usually prefer to play a few guitars in person before pulling the trigger, but threw the dice on this one since I haven't seen a lot available.

And now... the waiting game...

C-Squared

So right now I do like it. Not sure if I love if. Had i played it in the store I wouldn't have walked out with it day one.

Pros:
The neck is very comfortable. Bigger in width and girth than other EC models. Feels a lot like a 59 on the slim side

The heel is awesome. Not quite LP AX models, but higher frets are def easier to grab

Medium weight. Not heavy, and not a boat anchor. I'd guess around 8.5 lbs or just over, def under 9

The Floyd does it's thing, which is fun. It's probably the main reason I wanted to try this one.

Cons: (for me)

The Control layout is horrible. Maybe I'm just used to a Gibby, but trying to grab the controls while playing, especially if using the bar is quite a task.

The frets are huge. Will take some getting used to.

Setup with 9s. Need to get at least some 11s on there and I don't have the time this weekend to tinker with a FR and do a full set up.

9's and huge frets, definitely running into some intonation issues as I'm used to 11's or heavier, and more med jumbo frets.

Found a few high frets and some frets ends that need a little TLC. If I decide she's a keeper I will tend to those.

Binding near the nut is sloppy. Gap between, nut is about .015-.018" slimmer on both sides.

The Blue burst finish is so thick it gets washed out in most lighting and basically looks black. The top is also lackluster compared to others I've seen in this model.

A few ???
Advertised as full thickness. Thicker than the normal LTD EC models, but def not as thick as a Gibby

Advertised as FR1000, not sure what this one is but it does say Floyd Rose

Tonewise its good unplugged. Plugged in it was about what I expected from the advertised SD pups, so I knew going in that would probably be swapped.

I like it. I know playing it that I would not have been floored in the store and walked at least once. Gonna give it a few weeks and see if it's staying. It's a nice instrument, but for over $1000 made in Korea I expected a little more. I've seen and played some flawless Epis and a few other Schedter and LTDs

Post to Thread