1998 ESP KH-2 Ouija - different neck

Updated
1998 ESP KH-2 Ouija - different neck

I saw this original 1990s Ouija for sale. 

Seller makes it sound like there's something special about the neck, specifically he calls it "RARE flame neck". LOL!

I've watched several videos from this seller and every guitar is "rare, special, important...". It's obvious he's trying to re-sell his guitars for the highest price and is over highlighting certain characteristics of the guitars. 

Do you think this flame wood texture is something that makes a guitar more desirable, special, expensive, etc? 

Link to Reverb listing in case you have extra $8K:

https://reverb.com/item/33480231-1998-esp-kh-2-ouija-kirk-hammett-metallica-signature-guitar-custom-shop-rare-flame-neck-ohsc

Trigger

Whatever you do, you never ever: 1. Trust the description on Essex Recording Studios. 2. Never trust that fuck, period. 

In the guitar trading/collecting circles he is well known as the piece of shit. 

He, most likely, low ball the previous owner to the ground and got it it $1300, stating that it is actually the cheaper version, because of the weird neck. 

FlameToBlack

"he ...low ball the previous owner ... stating that it is actually the cheaper version, because of the weird neck. "

I can picture some dealers doing this, saying it's a defective neck  

ESP 348

I have many different pics of the necks of these original Ouijas.

I'd say this neck is 'rare', but it was never ordered or planned to be made that way.

From what I can see, I reckon 75% of them are "normal" maple necks as we know them on these original Ouija guitars and Hammett guitars of that era.

But I have also have another flamed maple like this one, dark/light colour maple, a strange discoloured section of maple on the headstock and also a very dark/odd grained maple neck. Might even have been roasted, I don't know lol. 

I will take a guess and say that the other style of necks we have seen were made by mistake using the wrong necks, or they ran out of stock and just used whatever they could get their hands on to make these Ouija guitars.

Another one of wonderful ESP mysteries that we will never know lol.

FlameToBlack

Exactly my thoughts!

It's not like ESP specifically made this flamed neck on purpose or it was an upgrade option for which you had to pay more. This Essex guy is just making a big deal out of something that was put on the guitar randomly.

It doesn't make this neck more desirable for me, I certainly would not pay more for it!

ESP 348

And I also have the Ebay listing for this exact same guitar going back to April 2016 with a listed starting bid of US $3800 and a buy it now price of US $4999.

The guitar was listed for sale in Denmark at that time with the same amount of damage on it as we see today.

The listing ended with no bids on it at that time. I never saw it for sale again.

I don't know if the Ebayer seller did a private sale with the Essex boys or if he sold to someone else, dunno.

But what we do know is that 4 years later to the day nearly it's listed for sale for US $8000 in the UK lol.

FlameToBlack

If you watch Essex video about this guitar on Youtube (posted May 2020), he talks about some collector he bought this Ouija guitar from. That collector has more rare Metallica items, some of you on this forum probably know him.  

Guiguitarz
FlameToBlack wrote:

If you watch Essex video about this guitar on Youtube (posted May 2020), he talks about some collector he bought this Ouija guitar from. That collector has more rare Metallica items, some of you on this forum probably know him.  

I tried to watch some of his videos, man ... this guy never stops to tell craps and wrong things just to sell the item. (i.e. The Ouija he's selling cost more than the others because it's beaten as hell and you won't feel guilty to damage it more if you have it ! that's a benefit !!) ahah, his manner of selling is just a joke.

BlackJack21
Guiguitarz wrote:

I tried to watch some of his videos, man ... this guy never stops to tell craps and wrong things just to sell the item. (i.e. The Ouija he's selling cost more than the others because it's beaten as hell and you won't feel guilty to damage it more if you have it ! that's a benefit !!) ahah, his manner of selling is just a joke.

His day job must be a car salesman. 

FlameToBlack
Guiguitarz wrote:

According to Essex seller Paul is the name of the guy who sold this guitar to them and "he's got really cool collection of Metallica guitars".

ESP 348
FlameToBlack wrote:

Lol, I might have to find this video to take a look.

AK

Maybe we should make a thread, warning people about this guy. It should state: not only “don’t buy from him” but also “don’t sell anything to him.”

Guiguitarz

He wrote earlier that he had offers on his Metallica related guitars, Reverb shows no offer at all on every auction ...

Manuel B.

That guy and the Turkish who have all the explorers....

As soon as I saw the Essex guy selling a M-II deluxe like mine for 2300 I knew he was full of it....

Cogan C.

Yep, he's a bullshit artist for sure. Essex listed a used standard Horizon on Reverb for close to 3K and I called him out on it, saying I could get a new USA model for nearly the same price. He stated the price was high because of CITES and export taxes they would have to pay to send it to me in the US. So no, Keith isn't your buddy, he's a joke.

Metalbebby666

no way i pay this kind of price for a kh-2 bolt on quija.

condition is awful too

Manuel B.
Metalbebby666 wrote:

no way i pay this kind of price for a kh-2 bolt on quija.

condition is awful too

You don’t understand.... it’s not mint, it’s played, that makes it much more valuable!

Metalbebby666

ha you are right!

im going to transfer my funds quickly to buy it before he realizes his pricing mistake!!

Manuel B.
Metalbebby666 wrote:

ha you are right!

im going to transfer my funds quickly to buy it before he realizes his pricing mistake!!

Yes, do that, if he plays it one more time the price will probably increase by 1000, and if he gets a dent then it’ll be 2000

HURRY!!!!

Manuel B.

Man... just saw the guy selling a KH-2 relic that was completely de-hammetized, no stickers, no Kirk and he’s selling like it is awesome because it was OWNED BY SLAYER.....os guitar tech....

bottom end, he’s selling a modified kh-2 relic, which kind loses value for 7000++

vex_sb

yeah that asshole lowballed me for 50% of what am i asking for the guitar lol. i declined, no talk with that trash. 

Post to Thread