ESP DC-KH

Updated
Christian L.

Hi!

I've been eyeing these since I really like the idea of double cut mahogny/maple guitars but with a 25.5 inch scale. I have a few questions:

Are these actually 25.5 scale? I've seen conflicting info regarding this.

The ones I've seen are labeled "Signature Series" on the back of the headstock and always have a "SS" serial number. Are these veneer tops or full flame maple cap?

alebtart

I've just measured my KH-DC from the nut to the bridge saddles and it was just under 65cm, which would equate to 25.5" scale. As for the top, i'm fairly certain it's a full flame maple cap and not a veneer as you can see the thick cap underneath the binding when the binding curves up with the carved top. 

Christian L.

Yes I'm certain it's a full maple cap but sometimes the figured part is a thin veneer on top of that solid maple cap. That's the case on all E-II eclipse guitars for example. And from what I understand on the old ESP Standard range. Was wondering if the Signature range might be different. It's often visible in the pick-up cavity. 

alebtart

hmm didn't know that. Unfortunately i'm not confident in my technical abilities to start picking apart the pickups! Hopefully someone else is able to check as i'm now also interested to know. 

Pushead

The pickup and control cavities are painted with shielding paint, so you can't see it. I suspect any of the guitars with an SS serial will just be a veneer. If you have a Custom Shop stamp on the back of the headstock and a K or T serial number, I suspect it would be a full flamed top.

ESP 348

Shit man, for the extra money you pay over the LTD version, even for the ESP SS model, surely it would be a flamed maple top instead of the veneer.

If they are both veneer, then you may as well buy the LTD version.

I've just read Big Daddy's reply, but still has me wondering as to why it wouldn't have a real maple top for a genuine ESP guitar.

Pinian

There's one on reverb now with photos of the pickup routes. Just like Pushead said, it's impossible to tell with the spray. Only way to know for certain would be to talk to ESP.

https://reverb.com/item/30468473-2012-esp-kh-dc-kirk-hammett-signature-metallica-see-thru-black-cherry

ESP 348

I just had a look at the 2012 catalogue and found the ESP vs LTD share pretty much the same specs.

Different nuts, different locking tuners and no scalloped frets on the LTD.

Everything else was the same, including both guitars have flamed maple tops apparently.

Raining Hell

Nice detective work esp348 

ESP 348
Raining Hell wrote:

Nice detective work esp348 

Cheers mate, I might have to look into this a little bit more myself.

Post to Thread