Kerry King V Prototype

Updated
Kerry King V Prototype

Here's an interesting one-off that I got as part of a deal when I was picking up another rare guitar. It appears to be a early 90s (1990 possibly based on the serial) KFK V prototype. AFAIK they only made the custom shop crackle and a bolt-on as production, but this one is a neck through without the ebony board and proper inlays, but has the cut/body/setup of the KFK production models. I swapped the Kahler that was in it to a Kerry signature 2315, the EMG 81s to an 81/89 with push/pull on the volume, the tuners to hipshot locking, and a FU titanium locking nut. If I keep it, I may swap the fingerboard to an ebony and do some kinda custom inlays...but I have my eye on a vintage Fender and have ESP making me another custom V, so I may let it go. It's got a couple chips in the paint - one at the top horn of the V and one where it chipped when the tuning screws were taken out, but overall in great condition if it's 29 years old. 

Anyone have any more insight to the guitar? or any idea of market value?

ESP 348

Congrats man, cool guitar. No idea what it's worth or any other details, so I will leave that to the experts to chime in.

adam r.

Still have this guitar? Is it for Sale?

Trav N.

Probably made around ‘95-‘96. I have a bolt-on KKV standard model body. Made of mahogany and inscribed in the neck pocket is “SF 5-31-96.” Serial number on body is 23402. I wonder if the SF is for San Francisco. Did ESP have a shop there at one time? I know there was a short-lived custom shop in the US somewhere

Edit: grammar

Post to Thread