What ESP LTD did I inherit?

Updated
GregsESP

Hi ESP Community, 

I was given this guitar by my uncle who died in a bank robbery shootout, lets just say he wasn’t a cop.  Anyway, I’m curious what model ESP this, it really doesn’t matter because I love the guitar, but I’m a curious guy so what better place to find out and learn a little something!  The pickups are passive EMG-ESP, Floyd Rose, and Eagle Inlays.  The pictures show the rest, It’s in kind of rough shape but for a guy that’s just learning to play I think it will be just fine.  Can anyone tell me what it is?  

GregsESP

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to reading your responses.  

Greg 

Pushead

Hi Greg. It's a 2006 LTD JH-200 Jeff Hanneman signature guitar. You can find out more about it on page 24 of the catalog:

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_files/esp/downloads/000/000/088/ESP-2006-Catalog.pdf?1392144651

Very sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope you have good memories of him when you play it.

ESP 348

Sorry to hear about your Uncle man.

Hope you enjoy the guitar.

GregsESP

You guys are the best.  If you were brand new to guitar which would be the better guitar for me to start with, my brother has a Schecter Diamond Series (Damien Solo Elite) that he never plays, I’m hesitant to ask such a vulgar question on an ESP site!  Maybe it doesn’t matter, I like the ESP better anyway, I’m just a newb.  Are the EMG-ESP pickups worth a darn as far as passive pickups go?  He smoked a lot of weed and was constantly getting burn marks on it, one of the pickups has a melted edge, it seems to work ok though, my God what this thing has been through.  I have questions about locking the tremolo too because I’m having a heck of a time keeping it in tune and I don’t plan on doing any VanHalen dive bombs anytime soon!  Is there a solid tool or something you put in place of the springs?  It might be a good idea to take her in and have it set up by someone that knows what they are doing.  Sorry for the long post, ADD!!! 

Pushead

The Schecter is probably a nicer all-around guitar, but it also sold for almost double the price of the LTD when they were new.

Floyd Rose style tremolos are a pain to use until you get an idea of how to set them up and keep them happy. There are (literally) hundreds of videos on YouTube about restringing, setting up and tuning Floyds. The ESPUSA guys have a pretty good one. Here's a link to their whole Tech Corner playlist. You might find out some good information there. Start with the "Restringing a guitar with a Floyd Rose."

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-YhVvmq8oG-6AXaucrpQBVI1Cnfu1aQM

But It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to take it to a competent tech for a go-over and setup.

GregsESP

Sounds good and thank you guys again.  The last site I went to with the same questions said “go fucking figure it out for yourself” then they listed all the gear they owned, in alphabetical order ( I made that part up) but really I was like man do you guys hear yourselves?  

Anyway, great site! 

Greg 

Pushead

What site was that?

Post to Thread