PLEASE tell me what i have and if i made a mistake or not.

Updated
Brad S.

Hello I appreciate you taking the time to read this I recently bought a guitar from somebody and I'm having a hard time finding any information on it and I'm hoping I did not make a mistake. 

Story is that the guitar was signed by Metallica when he won tickets to see them at a private show at a venue called Harry O's in 06. 

I have the e-mails he received also from met fan club. But as we know that could be faked. 

Pims

well, depending they asked a ridiculous price for the signatures I don't see the problem even if the signatures were fake, they do look legit though..

Brad S.

Any idea on a dollar amount for this guitar? 

Brad S.

Pushead

Without signatures, it's a $6-800 guitar. What value they add or remove depends on the buyer.

RaulTx

The signatures seem 100% legit to me.

Breadfan32

What did you pay for it?

Guiguitarz

Yep, sigs are 200% legit,

It's a mistake if you payed $2,000 for it. Around 1k$ is ok.

kirkfan30

I would say 1K also ...

Brad S.

Ya i paid alot more then 1k. 

Is this the lawsuit guitar? I was told that adds value? 

kirkfan30

Our estimate of 1k is already on the higher side since it has the signatures. It is cool I give you that but it is an LTD... 1K is already on the higher side IMO  but I can see it selling for that amount. Anything higher is just too much. It looks like a banana headstock which adds a little value but not much. 

ESP 348

Cool guitar, cool signatures on it.

From what I have seen, you will always pay $1000+ for any guitar signed by Metallica.

Congrats and enjoy.

Pushead

By "lawsuit" people mean traditional Explorer shape instead of the new EX shape. My figure of $6-800 included that "added vaule."

It's difficult to say what the guitar would sell for to another buyer. Obviously, it was worth whatever you paid for it when you bought it. Now you just have to find as big a fan interested in collecting guitars and signatures as you are.

Brad S.

Thank you all for your help!!

Richard D.

Hy Brad's my name is Richard do you still have the ltd explorer I'm interested in buying it if your willing to sell it...if possible answer me through my email richard3045.rdl@gmail.com...or through hier if you feel more comfortable thanks 

Tondog

The signatures are worth nothing. Metallica signs everything they see and they're not hard sigs to get. The dollar value on the guitar is really the only thing of "value" here. There are people who don't intend to get Metallica's sigs anywhere and would rather just pay for them, and this is where the only value is at.

dubster82

How would you go about getting a guitar signed by every member Tondog?

Tondog
dubster82 wrote:

How would you go about getting a guitar signed by every member Tondog?

I don't know that you really can anymore with James not doing any meet and greets outside of the paid "Hardwired experience" stuff they're doing these days. I have an "in" and don't even have the permission to take one in for a sig now! It's just what they have set up for themselves now. Your real chance would only to be to catch them at those record store days they tend to be obligated to show up for these days, but even those are tightly controlled events that have security stand outside and say "no" to everything they see to sign. Unfortunately for fans now, it's not the wild wild west days of Metallica anymore where guys like me handed you a backstage pass because you had the balls enough to bring a guitar to a concert! You could have brought in a tank in those days for a sig! Personally I find if pretty off-putting that they'd charge ANYONE for a sig these days given they've signed everything from airplanes to vaginas for 30+ years (don't know when they started this paid meet and greet thing)! On the other hand, they could say that they've signed all and everything without reservation for all that time without complaint, and now they're old and grumpy about it. Who knows?!

That being said, I don't give a shit about a signed guitar, but I'm going to try and bring one of their sigs to the show regardless and worm my way through the system like I always did to get my way!  I'll likely end up empty handed and standing outside the venue listening!

dubster82

Kinda contradicts what you just said previously.

Tondog
dubster82 wrote:

Kinda contradicts what you just said previously.

About me having one signed? That's just about prying to see how far the rules stretch, and not about getting anything autographed. You'll already come away with a bunch of signed stuff from the event, and the fun would be in arguing your way into getting something signed that was on the "no" list. I could care less about the signatures. I have those all over the place, but I don't really care about autographs. You just stand there like a drone moving through a buffet line while they scribble their mark on your widget and move on. They do it for everyone and anyone. It's not a tough sig to get and therefore it's value is worth virtually nothing. Any of these guys that trade in autographs will tell you that Metallica autographs EVERYTHING, and that is partially to control someone making money off of that practice, which I happen to know they DON'T like.

As far as the "value" in a signed guitar, I certainly stand by my claim, and have heard buyers say that it's only worth the price of the guitar for me. A scribbled sig of theirs on a guitar adds nothing to the value of the guitar, nor to it's value as an instrument. Some humans have a funny trait where they find value in another human's scribbling on their artifact, and SOME of them are VERY valueable if they were known not to sign things. I know that for me, I could care less about someone's autograph because it's inherently worthless to me. Even if I was there to see it signed, it no longer matters, and if you feel like you need some proof that you were standing near one of them, then it's only proof to you. Not sure what else to say about it. Some really dig that stuff, and some really don't care.

Breadfan32

If a guitar was signed by Cliff then that’s a different story.

metallica signatures aren’t rare.  They’ve signed so much in the past 30 plus years.

I think a guitar with signatures all over decreases the value of it if it’s actually a nice guitar.  

If you’re happy with the guitar and can justify what you paid then enjoy it!  

I would also say this guitar shouldn’t sell for anything above 1000 at best.  

I also believe this is the lower end Ltd model as it has the bolt on neck.  

Tondog

This!

Post to Thread