HETFIELD MX220 FUK 'EM UP

Updated
HETFIELD MX220 FUK 'EM UP

What does anyone difinitively know about the paint on that one? I could have swore when I saw it live that it was a midnight purple and several people have said that no, that was just the lighting and it is really a gray/black color. I have one of the LTD's in midnight purple and assumed that this is what Hetfields was back in 1989. All the pics I've seen suggest it's purple.

Pushead

I've always seen it as black, but I also have a dark purple guitar that most people think is black, so who knows?

But other than Live Shit Seatle (at the end) the only real video I've seen of the guitar is at the 2:15 mark of A Year and a Half...

ESP 348

I have always thought it was black also.

We need a contact that personally knows Hetfield and Hammett so we can ask them all these small details.

We will go a lifetime and not know what colour that guitar is. Isn't life weird like this.

Big Daddy B

I have always thought it was black too but maybe not. He does have a dark purple-ish Les Paul he has been using lately so maybe he has an affinity for that color.

ESPEXP

It's a black graphite. It's mostly black with some graphite/silver sparkle to it when the light hits it. I had this guitar around 1998, but stupid me sold it because I wanted an all black one....I was young and didn't know better.

Tondog

Was it a *custom* ordered thing or did they do a run of those 220's at that time? Did you just do a straight black MX220 then or a 250? 

Nathan S.

I kinda like that Midnight Purple LTD.

Tondog

I certainly like mine as well. I had thought all along that this was the same color as the guitar in question here!?

ESPEXP

I don't know if it was a custom order or not. Actually I bought it off Harmony Central or eBay almost 18 years ago. The ad was for a Set Neck Black ESP Explorer. I only saw one picture of it and it looked black to me. When there isn't a light shining directly on it, it was black. At the time I only knew of the bolt on ESP EXPs forsale and I wanted a set neck one (like hets) so when I saw it I bought it. When I got it I realized it was this graphite looking black and had a rosewood fingerboard. I thought it was black with ebony. When I had it after a couple of months I noticed it was more round than the ESP EXPs, and I liked the EXP shape better. I didn't know there was an MX-220 or 250 back then. I loved the black with ebony fretboard and the sharper shaped EXPs. So I sold it looking for a set neck black ebony ESP Explorer. Basically an MX-250. I was a teenager and didn't know any better. It wasn't till later I realized it was an MX-220 made like James' with the rosewood fretboard and graphite black.

Tondog

Oh to go back in time huh?!!! Any memory of what kind of $$$ you were talking about back then?

ESPEXP

I bought it for $1850. At the time ESP EXPs were around $1500-$1600 new

ESP 348

Very cool story man. Shame you didn't still own it.

ESPEXP

Yea I know I wish I still had it too. I still have atleast one MX-220 tho.

Breadfan32

Thx for the pics and info!  

ESP 348

I love Hetfield as much as Kirk, but I am glad I never decided not to start an ESP JH guitar collection.

It would definitely send me broke buying all the ESP Hetfield guitars. And I would have to buy another king size bed for the spare bedroom to store them all under. lol

Great stuff EXP, thanks again for sharing man.

Post to Thread