NGD- Alexi-600 w/ Blackout?

Updated
vector350
The wife hooked me up with a very sweet looking Alexi-600 in black w/ yellow stripes for the birthday. Sadly, it won't arrive until Friday earliest. This one seems unique in that it features the SD Blackout that, according to seller, was factory installed. Most feature the EMG HZ. I have read that some of the newer models did feature the active SD. Don't really care about whether it's factory or after-market as I like Blackouts- (got 'em on 4 other guitars) but am wondering about the accuracy of the sellers statement as to original equipment. If he was BS-ing about that...:( Photos when I get it in my hands.
wiretap

I don't know much about those but I'm almost positive that there were models that came stock with the blackouts.. It happened kinda randomly if I recall, but here's a musicians friend link where it's in the specs.

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Yup. It's legit. Lasted for a little under a year, I believe . They re-introduced the EMGs when Alexi got his signature pickup/booster set.

cecilbag

The blackout has to be better than the hz. I know they did come stock with them for awhile

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Anything has to be better than the hz.

Truth.

load more replies (1 of 1)
MV-CTM

An HZ would probably be good with a preamp or EQ board or something but on their own they are really bland sounding.

DanieLibuy

The HZ pickup isn't bad at all. It's just different.

Regards and congratulations!

NeedsMoreBlueBell

In my experience, HZ's are very muddy and meh... I got better results with a cheapo Guitarheads pickup.

Chucksplatter

HZ is "ok"....MUCH prefer an EMG-81 over the HZ or the SD Blackout!!

& congrats!!

vector350

HZ is "ok"....MUCH prefer an EMG-81 over the HZ or the SD Blackout!!

& congrats!!

Chuck- looks like an Alexi in your avatar. Which one?

As for p'ups- to each his own. It's pointless to debate about which is the better p'up when it's so subjective.
For MY preferences, I like the fuller tone & broader spectrum of the Blackout. YMOV :lol

vector350

BTW, let me just say I really HATE FUd Ex (yes, intentionally misspelled) The shipping geniuses there never bothered to let me know that the Alexi got held up in Memphis for whatever reason, and as a result I sat around the house for 8 hours waiting to catch it yesterday, all for naught.
8 hours wasted with no guitar until this Tuesday. And they couldn't keep me informed why?
:mad:

Chucksplatter

Thanx man....what's up w/your AL-600 ??

vector350

Thanx man....what's up w/your AL-600 ??

Dunno. Doesn't feel as well made as my RL-600. Frets are a little funky and the trem is not very responsive. I suspect that the knife edges are dulled to blunt, the posts have been worn down too much or both.
Just doesn't have the mojo that my Roope does. Damned shame, too. Love the look and the options on the AL-600. Had to replace the p'up in the RL but outside of that it was killer. The AL-600 is all set with that Blackout.

Chucksplatter

Damn shame indeed....could be the knife edges/posts....frets could need a grind & polish maybe??

vector350

Damn shame indeed....could be the knife edges/posts....frets could need a grind & polish maybe??

Could be. I am a little apprehensive about dumping much more money into a 600 dollars guitar. Know what I mean?

Chucksplatter

Yup....sux....well hope you can find another you like better....maybe somebody "has to have the black & yellow" & you could work a trade deal!!

vector350

Yup....sux....well hope you can find another you like better....maybe somebody "has to have the black & yellow" & you could work a trade deal!!

Certainly makes me wanna try an ESP version of the Roope and the Alexi. Don't suppose you wanna sell or trade yours?:rollin

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Just wondering, is it a Floyd Rose Special or a Licensed?

vector350

Just wondering, is it a Floyd Rose Special or a Licensed?

FR Special. Soon to be swapped out for a real deal OFR. Might even throw in a big block.
Frankly, this Special feels as shitty as any of the cheap knock offs I've ever had the misfortune of playing. :mad:

NeedsMoreBlueBell

I was going to suggest doing the switch. :P

And yeah, the big block is worth it. That, plus a real FR = instant tone upgrade.

Chucksplatter

Any updates Vector??

vector350

Any updates Vector??
You bet yer ass, Chuck! Put in a new OFR with a 32mm brass Big Block and that Alexi sings like a chorus of angels and roars like a pack of demons! The sustain and the overall sonic sensitivity are impressive. Pinch & open harmonics leap off that ax. The trem performance is much improved over the stock FR which I suspect was just worn down. The best part? I did all the mods myself- no luthiers or techs needed.

Next up? Gonna throw in a OFR and brass big block in my Roope RL-600 along with a better paint job. Something cheesy and 80's-esque, like bengal or snakeskin...:rollin

Chucksplatter

So....no cheesy Lightning-Bolt then??

:lol

vector350

So....no cheesy Lightning-Bolt then??

:lol
Correct, sir. Truth is, I got a number of irons in the fire re: GAS and am unloading both my sig series axes to raise some cash to fund it.

Post to Thread