Loose body ground?

Updated
Rich C.

Hello, 

I am replacing all the hardware and electronics on a 20 year old LTD H-1000. I've come across a loose wire in the back cavity-- one end goes into the body of the guitar via a tiny hole and other is just bare metal. It was wrapped in duct tape when I found it, presumably to keep it from coming in contact with the pots or switch. 

I've done a little reading and at this point I assume it's a body ground. If that's the case, what should I do with the loose end when I'm done with the other electronics? I understand it's there to provide an additional ground path and get rid of hum so I don't want to cut it out but leaving it floating loose in there doesn't seem right either. 

I am a complete beginner to working on guitars so please forgive me if I've used incorrect verbiage or this question gets asked a lot. 

Pushead

Hi Rich. You're right, it's a ground that goes to the stop-bar. EMG says you don't need to ground the bridge on their circuit, but I always ground it anyway. With passive pickups, you need to ground the bridge to the circuit.

Just solder the end of that wire to the top of any of the pots in the circuit and you're good to go.

Rich C.

Thanks for the quick and clear answer! I will ground it like you've suggested. 

Post to Thread