EC-256 Pickup Swap & Wiring Question

Updated
EC-256 Pickup Swap &  Wiring Question

I've got an EC-256 (Indonesian, 2 volume/1 tone) setup in Drop B and just ordered a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom pup to replace the factory bridge one. Not sure exactly how to wire it up with the annoying coil-splitting tone knob/pot. I've had the guitar for a couple of years and have never once used (or liked) the push/pull coil-splitting feature. Is there a way to wire up the new SD pickup without the coil-split, bypass it, or even completely eliminate the coil-splitting feature altogether?

Pushead

Yes you can. You'll probably want to buy a new tone pot to accomplish it, but the pickup should come with a wiring diagram of how to wire it up once you get a new pot.

Funguz

Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations for a tone pot. Maybe a link or brand and model number? Extremely new to this. I've been playing for over 10 years, but I've never swapped a pickup or change a volume/tone pot before. Luckily, I can solder and follow a wiring diagram though.

Pushead

I believe that the LTD passive guitars use Alpha pots. The 500k ohm pot should be the right one.

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/potentiometers/alpha-control-pots/

Funguz

Thanks for the help. Soldered in the SD SH-5 this morning. Wow. That mf is HOT!!

First time I've ever actually had to fly the tone knob at half-mast. Even had to roll back the boost a little. Putting in an order for one of the tone pots that you linked to in just a minute. Got a TonePros T3BT bridge on the way. That should take care of everything except the nut and locking tuners. Anyone have a suggestion on the upgrade? Earvana, TUSQ, bone, etc. Drop B with EB Not Even Slinky strings have wrecked this pitiful little piece of plastic. Lol. Also, I'm pretty sure that I asked in a previous post, but does anyone recall the model number of the Gotoh locking tuners that I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for all the help, guys. I planned on this being a project from the start, and so far I am not disappointed.

Pushead, are you the one who has the YouTube channel with all of the EC series videos? If so; excellent work, sir. I'm already a subscriber. Lots of great info on that channel.

Funguz
Pushead wrote:

I believe that the LTD passive guitars use Alpha pots. The 500k ohm pot should be the right one.

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/potentiometers/alpha-control-pots/

Long shaft or regular?

Pushead

Regular.

Funguz

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to get confirmation before placing the order. Thanks, man.

Post to Thread