Guitar upgrade EC1000?? action??

Updated
Xytras S.

Hi

I have an LTD Viper 10... so... an upgrade will happen.

I was thinking in EC1000 vintage black.

Does EC 1000 has some neck dive??? I can not handle it in viper anymore.

What do I gain?

one of my goals is to have less effort in my fret hand....

It is really easier to play?

What action can you achieve with an ec 1000?

Thank you a lot in advance

Pushead

I have a bunch of Eclipse guitars and haven't experienced neck dive with them. Neck dive in the Viper models is more common but can be helped by relocating the neck-side strap button.

In terms of action, yes, having higher string height can make the fretting hand work harder and making the guitar more difficult to play. There are 4 things that really control how low you can set the string height before getting more buzz than you can stand.

1) The relief (the bend in the neck.)

2) The neck angle in relation to the body (the neck may need a shim.)

3) The string height adjusted at the bridge.

4) The string height at the nut measured over the 1st fret.

In the case of the Viper 10, fret leveling may also be an issue. With the EC 1000, the neck angle is fixed because the neck is glued into the body.

There are literally hundreds of videos on YouTube that talk about guitar setups. That may help you tame your Viper 10 so it's more enjoyable for you to play. I made a video a few years ago about the setup I use with an Eclipse. I don't talk about shims at all, and it's a bit long-winded with more than just these 4 things, but maybe it will give you an idea of where you might want to tweak the Viper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqPd9aOQt-k

Mar G.

Hi

Thank you very much

I forgot to mention that I am Xytras

Was having problems with my login and create a new one with another email.

You helped me some time ago with an opinion about Viper 10 and I made a shime.

It is acceptable, speaking of action....

But the weight, neck dive.... welll and the vintage black is beautiful.

I need, if you can help me, to know, if I buy this guitar, is if my fret hand will have less effort.

If this guitar is realy more playable, more easy to play, a little more butter... and if this guitars can achieve some low action.

Hope you can understand me.

Thank you very much.

Xytras S.

sorry, a big mess with logins... now everithing ok

Sorry

Pushead

No worries. If the EC is well set up, it should play very well. It's made from quality components and, in my experience, is a lot of guitar for the price.

Xytras S.

Hi

thank you a lot again.

so…. The 1000000$ question The 700€ of diference can ease my playing?

thank you

PS- I can see myself playing samael on that thing

Pushead

It's hard to say without having played your Viper to see if it's something in the setup of the guitar that's making it play harder than it should. Is there any chance you could play an EC-1000 before buying it?

Have you tried using thinner strings? That could also help ease up on your fretting hand.

Xytras S.

Hi
thank you

yes, I will wait untill one of the music stores near,  have an ec1000 in stock and try it.

I tried 8-38, they required a bit more higher action…. I tried everithing with truss rod.

the bridge is all way down even with shime ( I put some photos in the tread you recomend shime) 

action is aceptable at this time with 09’s

I play seated, my shoulder will never support a beast of that weight.

The neck dive it is something that makes me want to throw it thru the window

So it is not just the action, it is all the set.

I need something eventualy more playable, but also lighter and without neck dive. 
For the price I like the sound of viper. With my expertise playing, at this time sound is not the main… but the emg sound good

A freiend told me about Prs Custom 24. 25”scale but a very confortable neck , if I see that ec1000 is confortable I wiill not think in anything else.

thank you

Xytras S.

Hi

after all I now have this ..........

thank you for everything 

Pushead

Congrats man, I hope this is easier for you to play.

Xytras S.

first big diference seated.... 1st fret is a lot closer...

The neck... essentially the same... I made the setup my self... almost 1\2 mm less action...

No neck dive.... the dream... how comfortable can be not to have to hold the neck while play? Very very comfortable.

The weight... the viper is a truck.... this one it is much more light weight.

Yes, it is easier to play

thank you

Post to Thread