LTD V

Updated
LTD V

I have an LTD V. The strings are about a half inch high. I don't like that. I tried to lower them and when I do the strings at one point touch the neck. Is it normal for the strings to be this high on these guitars and is there away for me to lower them?

Brian H.

Hey man, take it into a guitar tech. It may cost a bit but it will be well worth it

Not to mention all the grief you will save yourself.

Although have you checked the neck relief.

You have got to be careful with neck adjustments.   Small 1/4 turn adjustments. (They mean it when they say that). I found out the hard way once. 

Good Luck & Keep Rocking!

Brian

Fox M.

Yeah. That is what I need to do. Just low on funds. Thought there might be an easy fix I was missing.

Pushead

There are a bunch of adjustments on a guitar that affect string height at different parts of the neck. As Brian suggested, the neck relief is probably the better place to start. Especially if the strings start to touch as you lower the bridge.

There are literally hundreds of videos of guitar setups on YouTube that you could check out. I made one around this time last year about my setup and included the tools and measurements I use. One of the measurements shows how to measure the relief (the truss rod adjustment.) If you don't have feeler gauges like I use in the video, I figured out that most "normal" business cards are .014" inches wide. That's thicker than I set my relief, but it might get you close.

Fox M.

I will start watching some of the videos. I am just afraid I might mess something up. I would take to a take but working on a budget here.

Pushead

If it makes you feel better, there's very little you could do to it that couldn't be undone. Follow one of the videos and just take your time.

Post to Thread