Battery Life

Updated
VGuitarist

The battery in my MH01007ET only lasts 1-2 weeks before it is totally drained. At the moment, I don't play the guitar much, so it largely sits in the case. The solder connections look fine and I confirmed jack operation with a multimeter. The best I can tell, there is no current flowing between the battery and pickup selector switch when the cord is removed -- although it may be too low to measure. Whatever is happening, the battery is trickle-discharging over a couple of weeks. Any advice on what else to check?

Icefish

If the guitar sits for periods of time, Id disconnect the battery. I know its probably a pita to do but as long as the battery is contact it will drain slowly. 

Kirk S.

I've used EMG pickups for almost 30 years now and have never had that problem. I've had batteries last over a year in my lesser played guitars.

I do use high quality batteries like Duracell and Energizer not dollar store types.

metalhobo
Icefish wrote:

If the guitar sits for periods of time, Id disconnect the battery. I know its probably a pita to do but as long as the battery is contact it will drain slowly. 

that is untrue if the jack is wired correctly. the battery should physically be open circuited when there is no plug in the jack. there should be no reason to actually disconnect the battery terminals.

OP. have you experience this with multiple batteries? are they high quality batteries?

and to verify what you're confirming with the jack, I'm assuming you verified (with the battery removed) that the negative terminal of the battery connector is only conducting to ground when the plug is inserted, and when the plug is removed if is an open circuit.

Icefish

The battery being connected to the battery plug can cause batteries to drain. You leave batteries in a flashlight too long, you go to use the flashlight, the batteries will either be dead or not last as long as if they were removed. 

Not saying that is whats happening but it could contribute to it. Age and  quality of the batteries can also effect how long they will last

metalhobo
Icefish wrote:

The battery being connected to the battery plug can cause batteries to drain. You leave batteries in a flashlight too long, you go to use the flashlight, the batteries will either be dead or not last as long as if they were removed. 

no, not unless there is a fault in the wiring. constant current flow requires a conductance which is greater than zero. if a battery goes dead without any current flow, that is due to chemical changes in the battery that occur over long periods of time (years, not weeks!) and not due to simply being connected to a connector which is not a part of a closed circuit. constant current does not flow without a closed circuit. in a correctly wired active pickup guitar, the battery circuit is not closed when cable is unplugged. no current can flow in this case.

I do not know what kind of flashlight you have where the batteries last longer if removed from the flashlight vs. left inside while the flashlight is switched off. I do not doubt you have experienced this, but it is not the norm, and is not applicable to guitars with active pickups and correct wiring. if you have experienced this, then it is the case that there is a parasitic drain precisely because there is not a true open circuit when the power switch is "off." in such a flashlight, there might be low-current active circuitry that is powered regardless of the state of the flashlight switch. I repeat, this is not analogous to a guitar with active pickups where the wiring is correct, in which case there is physically no conducting path for any kind of constant current to flow from the battery when the cable is unplugged.

Post to Thread