Issue with Indonesian EC-1000

Updated
Issue with Indonesian EC-1000

I have an EC-1000 I just picked up used.  I love the feel and speed of the neck and the guitar has Killer tone, but when I toggle between pickups it sometimes sounds like I’ve rolled the volume down and I have to like quickly move the toggle switch up and down.  Also when I use the push/pull tone POT it doesn’t really change anything.   I’m not gigging out any more so it’s not a huge problem for me but IF I ever wanted to play out I wouldn’t be able to use this one.  I talked to my guitar tech about it and he said just buy a new toggle switch and tone POT and he will swap them out.  He also said get the wiring schematics so he can make sure they’re installed properly.   Does anyone have experience with getting this resolved?

Kirk S.

That's what I'd do. 

Norseman

Customer Service emailed me the schematics and I forwarded them to him. He said it’s pretty straightforward so I should be good.  I’ll post back.  

Nathan M.

As for the toggle switch, it sounds like it just needs 'adjustments'. 3 way toggle switches work by a series of metal leaf springs that either make contact or don't. If they aren't bent correctly, you'll get issues with volume or no signal at all. Toggling it back and forth hard can sometimes 'force' the contacts to make contact. It's an easy fix. I'm surprised your tech didn't know this as I've seen this problem MANY times on guitars of all makes/origin. 

As for the push/pull, just make sure to test it on a clean channel. I've met people who cannot tell the difference with distortion (plenty can hear the difference though). It's very possible it's a bad pot which can easily be replaced by anyone who can use a soldering iron. 

Norseman

So here’s an update:

my tech said before we touch anything, spray some contact cleaner into the toggle switch and all the pots, let it air out a day before putting the cavity covers back on and see if that helps.  Believe it or not that has resolved the issues!!

Post to Thread