Pickup Choice

Updated
Slartibartfarst42

Just bought a LTD M-1000 E and while I love it, I really don't like EMG pickups. I'm going to install a set of passives instead. I love the smoothness that you often associate with 80's Metal but I also like the rawness Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden has in his tone. Do you think a Seymour Duncan JB or a DiMarzio Super Distortion will work best in this guitar?

Brian H.

Both are good options.

Bare Nuckles look like they might be a nice choice.

Slartibartfarst42

I've had Bare Knuckles before and they're certainly good, but I stumbled on a maker in Manchester, England called The Creamery and I find them both better and cheaper. I know that a JB sounds fantastic in a Jackson Pro Dinky, which is also alder, but that has a bolt-on neck. I imagine a set-thru construction won't be as bright or snappy so wondered if the Super Distortion would cut through a bit better. I'm also toying with the idea of asking The Creamery if they can make me a pickup that uses both alnico 5 and ceramic magnets to get a bit of both. I don't know if that would be possible.

Brian H.

It might be possible. I have a set of Super Distortion in a Jackson Rhoades and they kick ass.

Geraldo F.

I just love the JB. I have it on both a Squier Strat and a EC-256. They definitely sound different on each guitar, but I reckon it has more to do with the pots (original Fenders on the Strat and Roslens on the EC) than with the choice of wood or neck construction.

Slartibartfarst42

This is exactly my problem - I think they could both work and I love them both, but they appear to have conflicting sounds. The JB is classic 80's Metal with that smooth distortion. I love that as it's the soundtrack of my youth. The Super Distortion seems more aggressive and less forgiving. It reminds me of a really hot-rodded PAF for classic Hard Rock tones and I love that too. I think what I really want is the smoothness of the JB but with some of the hairy aggression of the Super Distortion but I imagine such a pickup doesn't exist. Perhaps I'm going to have to just go for one or the other.  

Jim M.

For me, there is no other pickup than a DiMarzio Super Distortion.  That’s just me. It seems like they’ve doubled the output of every guitar I’ve ever installed them in.

FWIW:  I installed an EMG ‘81 in one of my guitars once and it made it louder but the sound was antiseptic compared to the DiMarzios.  

just some insight.  

metalhobo

IME the super distortion is fatter than the JB. it has more aggressive low mid-range. it's a lot hotter.

I think the super distortion is a better choice for a 25.5" scale guitar with a locking trem. the JB might sound thin or ice picky, depending on your amp setup.

Slartibartfarst42

I don't suppose anyone has any good suggestions for a neck pickup to go in an M-1000 E that will pair well with a Super Distortion? I usually prefer PAF-style pickups in the neck and in the past I've tended to gravitate towards alnico 2 or alnico 4 magnets. As I don't think the Super Distortion is the most versatile pickup on the planet, I'd like a neck pickup that is extremely versatile, covering everything from cleans and Blues up to Dave Murray lead tones.

Geraldo F.

I think Murray no longer uses a full size humbucker these days, his signature strat has a SD hotrails on the neck. But the PAF PRO is a very popular match for the SD. I have it on the neck of my EC-256 and love it. Disclaimer: my "clean" tone is actually close to breakup, so I wouldn't be able comment on really clean tones...

metalhobo

dimarzio paf pro is a good one. it's kinda mid-scooped in comparison to others in that style, which can lend itself well to clean sounds or articulate lead runs. paf pro/super distortion is what I have in my carvin. if you want something with more midrange heft the dimarzio paf 36th anniversary is a great choice

Slartibartfarst42

DiMarzio tell me that even though the 36th Anniversary uses an alnico 5 magnet, the technology they use in that magnet mimics the performance of alnico 2. As I like alnico 2 neck pickups, that sounds like an interesting option.

Kirk S.

Since it's routed for actives I'd look at Fishman Fluence. Lots of flavors. 

Slartibartfarst42

Decision made - DiMarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro!

mac h.

The Dimarzio Paf Pro is an excellent choice. In compared to others in the style, it's a little more mid-scooped, which works well for clean tones or articulate lead runs. In my carvin, I have paf pro/super io games. The dimarzio paf 36th anniversary is a wonderful pick if you want something with more midrange heaviness. 

Victor P.

Both the Seymour Duncan JB and the DiMarzio Super Distortion are popular choices for achieving a powerful, raw, and 80's metal tone. However, each pickup has its own characteristics and tonal qualities, so it ultimately depends on your personal preference and the specific sound you're looking to achieve. Dave The Diver 

Post to Thread