Set Up Measurements

Updated
Set Up Measurements

Looking for set up measurements for low action without buzzing on my EC-256. I’ve been trying to dial in my set up since I changed the factory strings with a set of GHS Boomers ultra light .008’s. I’ve almost got rid of all the buzzing on the high e string with adjustments made to the bridge and truss rod. I’ve got a set of .009’s coming and see if it helps as I think these guitars come with heavier gauge strings. Anyone got any measurement recommendations for the bridge height?

Pushead

It's hard to give you a string-height measurement without knowing what you're using for your using for relief. But I find pretty good results with around 4/64" (1.5mm) at the 12th fret on the low E and 3/64" at the 12th fret (1.1mm) on the high E.

Without spamming too hard, I recently made a video about putting my setup on my Eclipse, complete with numbers and how I get there. You can watch it at:

Pushead

Here's the image with the setup summary I made. The video goes more in depth on the tools and process and whatnot, but if you're already comfortable dialing in relief, you might not need all the info in the video.

BOOGIEMAN

Thanks again for your help! I watched the video and bookmarked it. Got new strings coming in on Monday and will do a cleaning, restring and set up the following weekend. I will be using feeler gauges as I don’t have that nice ruler/straight edge tool. 

Pushead

Nice!

If you're on the lookout for a string height ruler, this is the one I use.

From Amazon

BOOGIEMAN

Thanks for the link. I’ll order one soon. Looking forward to next weekend and diving into this again with better knowledge.

metalhobo

I'm a big proponent of using a taper gauge for measuring action or relief. it functions like a feeler gauge except it's continuous and graduated so you don't have to flip through a dozen things to get the measurement. they're a bit more expensive than rulers or stuff, but the big advantages are 1. they're more accurate, 2. you don't have to worry about the angle of the ruler throwing off your measurement since the taper gauge sits flush against the surface, and 3. you read the measurement right off the top so there's no bending down or hunching over to read the ruler, or trying to balance the guitar sideways.

this is a good example which I have: https://www.amazon.com/INSIZE-4630-1E-Taper-0-15-Graduation/dp/B08X9CJW96

or a probably higher quality starrett one: https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/270

BOOGIEMAN

metalhobo - Thanks for the great info. I may add that tool in the future. I just ordered the string height ruler that Pushead told me about. Next weekend will be busy as I will be cleaning the guitar, dressing the frets more to my liking, conditioning the fretboard and adding a String Butler before putting new strings on and then begin with the set up. Once I dial in the set up to my liking, I may add some locking tuners at some point as my guitar doesn’t have them. It’s been pretty stable and doesn’t go out of tune much unless I do some crazy bends. The String Butler and some locking tuners will help with that and make for quicker string changes. Thanks to both of you for advice, I really appreciate it.

BOOGIEMAN

Pushead  metalhobo  Just finished dressing/polishing the frets, cleaned/conditioned the fretboard, installed a new String Butler, put new EB Super Slinky .009 gauge strings, and did a new set up. I think I nailed it or at least very close.  Should know in a few days lol.  Here is how it looks currently.  Thanks again to both of you for the info you provided.

Pushead

Awesome man. Looks great! I hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

BOOGIEMAN

Pushead - Thanks my friend. I played quite a bit today and I’m really diggin it. I think I may have nailed the setup. Did the latest update on the Pod Go. Messed around with the new Diezel amps, they sound pretty good. Oh yeah, I got a week vacation in banned camp at the other forum. Can’t believe it, I didn’t say anything that should warrant it. Guess someone got offended by me being myself and reported me. Oh well, they aren’t the only game in town lol. Take care.

Pushead

Your pants weren't tan enough to post on that board. (If it's TGP that you're speaking of.)

BOOGIEMAN

Pushead - Ha ha!!! You guessed it!!! Should have known better as I don’t wear tan anything...I prefer black... like my...coffee...yeah that’s it, my coffee!!! 

Halym  M.

It's great that you're working on setting up your EC-256 to get that perfect low action without any buzzing. Changing strings and fine-tuning your guitar's setup can make a world of difference in playability. When it comes to setting up your bridge height, it can be a bit of trial and error, but here's a general guideline to get you started. You can use an inch ruler for precise measurements. Switching to .009 gauge strings might help as they are slightly heavier than .008's and can provide more tension. However, it's essential to keep fine-tuning until you find that sweet spot that suits your playing style.

BOOGIEMAN

Thanks I was able to dial it in perfectly for my tastes. It still is one of my favorite guitars in collection

Post to Thread