Viper 10 Ebony Fretboard?

Updated
Viper 10 Ebony Fretboard?

I'm a bassist normally, but because I wanna record stuff with a friend I bought myself a cheap Viper 10 which I heard was a versatile guitar. When I looked it up a bit it said it had rosewood fretboard and the guitar on the image and all the testing videos had it along with the "VIPER-10" inlay on the 12th fret and a fully painted black neck. The one that came to me however has an ebony(?) fretboard, has an ordinary neck without paint, and no inlay with the models name on it. I really really don't mind any of this and in fact I was happier to see the fretboard was ebony because I HATE rosewood but, I'm still unsure if this is an actual ebony fretboard or a very, very dark rosewood. I searched up the serial number and it said this particular guitar was produced in China in 2020 so perhaps they changed the model slightly in that year, or worse did I somehow end up buying a fake guitar? Regardless, take a look.

Pushead

The guitar is legit. In 2018 they stopped putting the model number at the 12th fret and instead put it on the truss rod cover.

The spec for 2020 is an "engineered hardwood" fingerboard. That means that it's made from several layers of wood (and/or other fibers) and glue or resin. They've dyed it black, but you can see the layers in the photo you've posted.

Volya90

Ah, I knew it. I've never actually heard of this type of fingerboard before, yet it really didn't feel like ebony compared to my bass which actually has ebony so something was off. Well, it looks awesome at least, don't know about the sound but, can't expect much of a sound from a low end guitar. One thing I wanna know about though is, how is this "engineered hardwood" crafted? What type of materials/wood are the layers made out of and what components do they use to fuse it all?

Pushead

It's sort of like a hotdog.

There are different processes, but it's mostly pulp and veneer material combined with glue or resin which is combined under pressure to have a stable material. If you search Google, you can find engineered hardwood used in flooring and other construction material.

Volya90

I see. Thanks a lot! I'll look further into that, it seemed interesting to me.

Post to Thread