EC 256 pickups/tuners upgrade

Updated
Pacemaker1000

When considering the above would be good to know how good or bad the stock pups and tuners are. Also how much would you have to spend to get a noticeable improvement.

rock and blues player.

Jason T.

I actually have a couple of the older EC-200s and absolutely love them.  The 256 is really nice too and has pretty much the same hardware.  The stock pickups aren't bad at all, depending on what your tastes are though.  Tuners aren't BAD, but them and the bridge would be obvious places for upgrades.  I personally like some of the models that have the stock pickups because I fully intend to replace them with whatever I really want.  But really, swapping out for desired pickups and then swapping out for a better bridge and tuners would give you a wonderful guitar that would rival most higher models.  It really depends on what bridge and tuners and also what deals you can get to purchase them.  A set of Schaller 3x3 locking tuners that drop in easily for ESP guitars is about $100.  A Tonepros standard locking tune o matic bridge seems to be about $135.  Now if that's a little much and beyond what you need, you can also go to Dragonfire and look up some of their equipment.  Some of that stuff is mid to high level at a low price.

Pacemaker1000

Thanks

ordered some locking tuners and plan on removing the pickup covers

thoughts on rolling bridge?

Jason T.

Looking at Musicians Friend, they've got Schaller for about $99.  But for the Tonepros that i mentioned before, that comes with the roller bridge as well.  Stew Mac has that anywhere from $126 - $141 depending on if you want Chrome, Nickel, Black or Gold.  I'd personally get that Tonepros LPM04 set for the bridge and the Schaller M6-135 3x3 locking tuners.  Check around for prices.  

Pacemaker1000

Seems rollers are mainly recommended if you have a Bigsby. Not sure of the benefit otherwise.

changed the tuners as g string hard to tune. Maybe it’s the bridge though I’ll try the new tuners first.

Post to Thread