Locking Nut replacement

Updated
Locking Nut replacement

Hey all

I'm looking to replace the locking nut for a FR Special on a low-end LTD M-10FR (MIC). The grooves/threads have all worn out.

"WR3" is stamped below the locking nut. I've scoured almost every on-line store and they're of no help. Including the ones suggested by ESP. Cant even find the specs for the said WR3 nut. 

FWIW, I've tried replacing it with a R3 and (and a few other unspecified ones) just for the sake of it but it didnt fit. Sits too low and shimming it up only made the hi-E string action too high (among other things). In case anyone here asks, I forgot to take its dimensions when I took it out (hmm.. maybe next time).

Hope someone here can be of help. Thanks in advance.

metalhobo

odd that the R3 is too short, as it's among the tallest nuts FR makes. where did the R3 you have come from?

go ahead and check out the chart here (https://floydrose.com/products/original-locking-nut?variant=30511209490) if you haven't already, and confer with your own measurements.

how did you try shimming the R3 nut? with a flat spacer? you'll want to use different thicknesses on each side. something like little folded up pieces of sandpaper works well, with different number of folds for each side, as long as the height you're trying to achieve is not too much.

Mad G.

I got the R3 locking nut from an ESP dealer here sometime ago. They said it should fit. But it didnt. I suspect its not an R3. Used a piece of hard plastic card cut to size to shim up the nut.

Thanks for the tip to use sandpaper instead. Great idea. It didnt occur to me to use something 'softer' and with different thickness on each side! Might try this method out as a temporary solution. Will update on how this goes. 

Pushead

Half shims for Floyd nuts

I use these to shim the nuts. I'd advise against any type of paper, which will compress over time.

metalhobo

the idea with sandpaper is that the carbide or oxide won't compress or move around

Stokz.

i've similiar problem with this same model. i removed locking nut for cleaning and see WR3 stamp under the nut. i want to buy Gotoh GHL2B but i have no idea for fits in to neck.

Stokz.

Any advices ?

Post to Thread