BW-1 E string buzz

Updated
BW-1 E string buzz

I started getting some string buzz on the low E-string after maybe 10 or so hours of play.  At first I thought it was only the string but I can hear it through the amp.  Seeing how I'm new to the guitar I was wondering if this is normal.  Should I replace the strings and see if that solves the problem or are there any other areas I should look at first?

Subaru555

First guess is the neck might've warped slightly one way from a change in humidity. You might have to adjust truss rod slightly, but yeah, if this is the case then this is totally normal.

Did you get your guitar new? If so, you might've received a hex wrench in a little baggie you can use. If you don't have this, all of my LTD's use a 4mm hex wrench. My most recent LTD also came with a little piece of paper explaining the adjustment but you can find instructions on how to do this pretty much anywhere on the internet. I would recommend changing to a fresh set of strings of your choice then if this keeps happening, try adjusting the truss rod.

Another issue I can think of is the action height but I really don't know what that is like on Evertune bridges. Maybe another forum member could pitch in.

Hope this helped.

Mike T.

Thanks for the suggestions on this.  I check the action height and its real easy to adjust on the Evertune.  I ran the height up and down with no change to string buzz.  I'm waiting on new strings to arrive and try that.  I got this guitar new direct from ESP and they did the setup prior to shipping so I'm going to try the easiest thing first and if that doesn't work I'll get in touch with them.  Once again thanks for the suggestions.

Pushead

It sounds like the guitar could use a setup. There are dozens of good videos on YouTube if you're interested in trying it yourself.

But, if you give us some idea of where/when it buzzes, we might be able to help you diagnose a quick fix. Is it just buzzing when the string is unfretted? How far up the neck can you play before the buzzing starts/stops?

Mike T.

I get the string buzz when played open and maybe up the 8th.  I don't seem to hear it beyond that.  Based on everything I've read on the internet it seems like new strings are the first thing to try before getting too deep into it.  

Pushead

Yeah, with the buzz being that low on the fretboard, your action at the bridge isn't going to affect it. I'd definitely try loosening the truss rod 1/8th of a turn (counter clockwise). Retune and see where that gets you. If you still get a buzz, try a second 1/8th turn.

Post to Thread