Skinny top / hvy bottom for ec256?

Updated
Skinny top / hvy bottom for ec256?

New to the forum, very inexperienced player here. I apologise in advance if this has been answered already but there is so many results when looking for string size etc..

I have an EC-256FM currently with 10-46 regular slinky's in standard E tune. I'd like to be able to play dropped D without changing my nut, bridge, or truss rod settings. Has anyone had good luck with EB skinny top heavy bottoms (10-52)? 

Have you had to make any adjustments for them since they're not much bigger than '46's? How low can you tune before too much fret buz (can you go as low as Bb)?

Pushead

You shouldn't have any issues at the nut with a .052" for the low E.

I'd suggest going with something bigger if you're going to tune to Bb. The guitar will handle it, but you'd probably want to set the guitar up for that tuning. I'm not a fan of trying to use the same guitar for tunings that far apart. There is quite a bit of string pull between the two tunings, and that makes it near impossible to have the guitar play well in both without making some adjustments to the trussrod.

I have my Eclipses tuned to C standard with a .012 to .056 set. I leave them in that tuning (or drop A#) and use other guitars for things in standard or Eb.

Your mileage may vary.

Always a novice

Thanks for your insight Pushead! You answered exactly what I was asking for.

I've never actually learned to play correctly, but have been playing off and on (more off than on lol) for 30 yrs. I just started fiddling again last fall when my son decided he wanted to learn. We bought him an EC-10 and I fell in love with it. My wife bought me the EC-256FM for Christmas as a surprise and I absolutely love it. Now I just need to make time to practice much more.

If I keep up with playing then I plan on getting another ec style guitar to use just for lower tuning.

Pushead

Awesome man. Music is a great hobby and it's even more fun if you have someone to share it with!

I'd say that's a good plan. It's sort of a pain to have to have two guitars (or more) if you play in really varying tunings, but I've found that I enjoy playing more on a guitar that's easier to play, one that has a good setup, so that I'm not fighting high strings, buzz or unstable tuning. The EC-256 is a really nice guitar and will handle whatever you throw at it.

Enjoy man!

Post to Thread