Which string do I use

Updated
Abhinav M.
  • I bought a esp LTD Mt 130, nice guitar for beginners and nice budget guitar. Now I have to change the strings.pls suggest which gauge string will go nicely in my guitar
Pushead

How long have you been playing, and what kind of music do you prefer to play? If you're playing in standard tuning and are a fairly new player, I'd suggest using a .009 set of strings. I like Ernie Ball, but D'Addiaro and a bunch of other brands make really good quality sets.

Abhinav M.

Thanks for the reply, I like to play rock and metal. I am worried that using thicker gauge will damage the neck of the guitar

Pushead

No, the neck will be fine. That's why they build them with a truss rod.

Abhinav M.

I changed my usual .009 gauge strings to 10s and now my bridge is raising very high, i can't even tune it. I tried to adjust the screws in backside but it is fully tighted. There are 3 springs only in the back. What should I do??

Steve J.

You need to learn to do a set up. There are plenty of youtubers out there. The string size isnt why the bridge is raising and you will always have a hell of a time trying to manage your guitar tunings without learning to block up the trem. 

metalhobo

add one or or two more springs

Abhinav M.

Is there any size for the spring

metalhobo

no. any spring meant for guitar tremolo bridges will work, such as allparts bp-0019, wd music sp50, or stewmac 1513.

Abhinav M.

@metalhobo thanks for you help... But the problem is that I can't get those springs here in India. In amazon its soo expensive like 1,000Rs and more

metalhobo

go back to .009 gauge strings

Slartibartfarst42

Does your guitar have a Floyd style bridge? They take a bit of getting used to and there's certainly a learning curve when you first have one. The thicker strings you've fitted require more tension so inevitably, they pull the bridge harder and that's what is pulling it out of position. If the screws in the back of the guitar are all the way in, which surprises me with three springs, your only option is to either revert to a standard set of .009s or add another spring. A possible compromise option is to fit a hybrid .009-.046 set, which uses the treble strings from a set of .009s and the bass strings from a set of .010s so won't require quite as much tension. When adjusting everything, the Floyd should be pretty much flush with the body or just slightly higher. The base of the bridge should certainly run parallel to the body. Don't panic and check out YouTube videos as it's nothing that can't be fixed.

Post to Thread