New EC-1000... this bothers me...

Updated
New EC-1000... this bothers me...

I just got a new EC-1000 Deluxe last week, and I absolutely love this thing... BUT... the nut bothers me.  At first I thought it was shimmed, but then looking closer, it seems the neck wasn't cut correctly so the nut was shaved down to compensate. 

On the one hand, is it really a big deal?  The guitar feels, plays, and sounds great.  On the other, I paid over $1000 for this guitar with shipping and everything... maybe I don't get to demand perfection at that price point, but, am I right to expect better craftsmanship than this?  It looks to me like someone was just trying to get this guitar out the door and didn't want to bother addressing this... am I being unreasonable?

Thanks in advance, guys.  I appreciate any feedback I get.

Rattlehead

Here's a closer look with the truss rod cover removed: 

RiDLEY09

The problem is when the nut is apparently wiggling while playing or when you are doing down tunes up to standard, it can change the tone of your guitar and lowers the action in the high strings. I must say if i where you i will replace the nut a quality one and to have a perfect guitar. Replacing a nut is not a major craftsmanship to work with just go to the best known luthier in your place.

Jshannon3

Yeah, that would bother me too, dude, I just got my second ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo guitar and I made several nut measurements, with calipers, to verify everything was square on the nut.  I didn't pay 1799.99+tax for less than perfection.  My guitar was flawless.  If I was you I would take that back and see about getting that fixed, you didn't just blow 1000 bucks for some cheap woodworking on a nut job, that would definitely bother someone like me.  I'm just looking out for your best interest.

Thrash8315

I would buy a black Graphtech XL nut and have a luthier install it. You will not be disappointed. I am planning on doing the same mod on my EC1000VB. 

Post to Thread