JATOBA FRETBOARDS

Updated
Vinnie

Sorry if this is a double post, but are there ANY CHANCES of getting the Jatoba F/B's "colored" at all? I have heard certain companies can do this or dye the wood darker. The Jatoba is fine, as a wood , but the color is way too Orange-y for me for all these nice guitars. Dark Brown or Black is the way to go. is there a way to keep the diff woods, but color them as such somehow?

jv m

I received mine months ago but it wasn't orangey at all.  My first ltd guitar.

But yeah, I've read in other forums saying that they got orangey to chocolate colored Jatobas.

Vinnie

that doesn't look like Jatoba at all. if it is, that's perfectly colored. I don't think I've ever seen it that dark?

jv m

it's an ec-256fm dark brown burst.  https://www.espguitars.com/products/19832-ec-256fm

specs say it's a "Roasted" Jatoba.  maybe that's why it's darker?

Vinnie

Whatever it is, its the way it should look. My Cobalt and Purple are light brownie/orange

Martijn R.

In 2017 LTD's transitioned to the use of Roasted Jatoba (200 range), Pau Ferro (400 range) and Macassar Ebony (600 / 1000 range) (plus some other types) for the use of fretboards, this was done to follow Cites to limit the use of Rosewood types for fretboards. ESP notification regarding Cites.

At the same time the model number inlay in the fretboard was removed, model numbers are now marked on the truss rod cover and no longer in the fretboard.

This means the guitar posted by jv m is from before the change to Roasted Jatoba, as it still has the model number inlay in the fretboard, the fretboard will be a type of Rosewood and thus darker.

My EC-256 has a Jatoba board and was indeed quite orange, this made for a rather pale guitar as it is a lemon drop finish. I have only used fretboard oil to darken it. Sunlight can also help and playing it does affect it as well. It will not get as dark as Rosewood or Ebony, I guess only a dye can get you that far.

Vinnie

Yes. I do not like the orange-y look at all. They really need to address this, as it takes away from the nice paint jobs they are putting out. Tonally, its fine, but the color leaves a LOT to be desired, IMO

jv m

Oh so that's why mine was darker, it's actually rosewood.  And I thought because it said "roasted" jatoba, I assumed why it has that color.

@Martijn wouldn't fretboard oil make the jatoba even more oragney?  I used fretboard oil on one of my Japanese les paul once that had a unique swirl wood pattern on the rosewood. After years of playing I cleaned the gunk and applied oil.  It somehow made the orangey part of the rosewood more orange and some of the lighter rosewood color to a chocolate brown.  Looked weird but I liked it.

Staining / dying is a good idea.

Chase D.

Are the EC-256   Lemon Drop, Lemon burst , and Natural finish the same guitar just referred to as either name . Or, are they completely different finished?

Adoro S.

Step up your style game with stylish shoes that will make you look amazing! Crafted with quality materials and modern designs, these shoes are perfect for any occasion. Whether you're dressing up for a night out or just want to stay comfortable on your daily commute, stylish shoes will bring the right amount of flair to your ensemble. Make heads turn and feel confident walking confidently with stylish shoes!

Jazmin c.

Discover the best sale on brands in Pakistan. So come to Jazmin and get a sale on the latest dresses in all over Pakistan with fast delivery. Find your favorite dress in affordable price online today.

Meerak O.

Meerak brings the best new dress designs online in Pakistan. We provide a wide range of the latest dresses online all over Pakistan. Order your Desire dresses online at the best prices.

Post to Thread