MH1001NT vs MH401NT

Updated
Danijel J.

The pricing of these two guitars is very similar in Europe. Their names suggest there should be a big difference in quality or other aspects, but I don't think that's the case. Anyone tried both? What do you prefer? How bright is the rosewood fretboard on both guitars? The quality of fret finish, the paintjob of the top, binding, both cosmetic and hardware parts qc, playability, neck size?

I have an EC1000 with ebony fretboard and I don't really like too bright rosewood boards as they are shown on majority of online photos of MH series. I really hope it's the light in the photos, because I have a non-LTD guitar which has a stunning rosewood fretboard.

Neck specs is what I really want to know more about, because I had an MH1000FR a few years back, but ended up selling it because I barely used the floyd rose, and it was too much of a hassle when it came to string changing. Also I really didn't like the whole-body flashy abalone binding. However, the guitar played, felt and sounded like a dream. I bought an MH anniversary edition without trying it, and when it finally arrived I was really disappointed, because the guitar had a thicker body compared to MH1000FR, significantly thicker neck (close to a telecaster) and it was generally not what I expected out of MH series playabality-wise. So, what guitar should I aim for between the two? Also, thoughts on the MH350NT.

Whatever guitar I end up with, I intend to swap EMG's for some passives, and if I end up with non-deluxe, probably swap factory tuners with locking ones.

Pierre R.

I can tell you that the 401nt (dark brown sunburst) is a very nice guitar. Very well assembled instrument,the neck is very solid feeling/ comfortable and the fretwork is top notch. The fretboard (on mine)is a medium brown in terms of tint and the guitar itself is quite light. It's my first esp guitar and I took a chance on it despite the fact that when I ordered it I was told it was made in Korea and when I got the guitar it said made in Indonesia (not a good business tactic). All in all its a very nice guitar and I would for sure recommend it although I can't speak for long term reliability. 

Danijel J.

Thanks for replying, honestly I thought the forum was a ghost town after a week without a single reply. Well not long after I posted the thread, I ordered the guitar. It came about a week ago and I'm really satisfied with it. Like you said for the 401, craftsmanship is top notch, fret finish, neck feel, the heel joint, etc... The pickups are really hot, even hotter than an 81 I had in EC1000, which I like for now, because a bunch of patches on my kemper now sound better. Anyway, to anyone who's up for buying the MH series, you won't be dissapointed with 1001 and positively 401 and 350 (which I have tried in the past). And PLEASE avoid the MH2015, that guitar feels and plays nothing like MH series.

Pierre R.

Danijel glad you like it. Is yours a made in Indonesia or Korea? Im playing mine through a boogie 2c+ and a 6505+ and the guitar sounds great. Similar to my m.i.j Jackson soloist but not quite as snappy likely due to the ebony board (soloist) vs the rosewood board (mh401). Whats this mh2015 you mentioned? Year of manufacture or a model #? Im actually quite confused because just about all the photos Ive seen of the mh401 say Korea on the back of the headstock including the esp website and on other online stores selling the guitar. I dont have any experience or long term quality/reliability reviews for Indonesian made neckthrough superstrats and the main reason for me ordering the mh401was the fact that it was made (supposedly) in Korea. I love Jacksons but feel they've taken a step back (for their mid priced guitars $900-1500) and the fact that the mid price point is manufactured in Indonesia turned me off,so here I am with the same issue with esp/ltd but like I said the guitar literally won me over with its feel build quality and tone so Im taking a chance on it being rock solid for years to come. However I would be curious to find out where the mh1000 series are built,as I'm also needing a good 7 stringer. I've got my eye on the mh1007 (the evertune bridge) and considering its price I'll go for it IF its made in Korea,if not then its the Schecter km7.

Danijel J.

I don't know if it's a good idea to resurrect this two years later, but I never got the notification about your post and that's why I never returned to this thread. I guess you have to manually subscribe to a thread you posted or commented on to get a notification when someone writes back...

However, I am interested in your thoughts now that some time has passed. How do you like your 401? Do you still have it? I am still very satisfied with my 1001, I play it regularly and after hearing a lot of the different pickup tests I think EMG 81 suits my playing best, and I'm just now! learning how to pick with them in order to get the sound that I like. It sits in drop A with Ernie Ball cobalt 7 string set 11-58 where I ditched the first string. The 58 is a little bit flappy for A, but you can live with it if you adjust your picking intensity. Aside from the volume pot needing a change and a saddle screw that has worn out from intonating too often, the only thing I consider a design flaw is the exit angle on the first string when going over the nut to the machine head. It causes tuning issues for me.

Did you buy a 7 stringer? I'm also in the market for one, I tried a Solar 6 with evertune which is a killer guitar, really sturdy, but based on looks only (probably a headstock thing) I gravitate towards ESP's and LTD's. Ideally I would like the Horizon E2 NT7 with evertune, I think it's just a beatiful instrument, there is just something about the guitar when pickups are mounted directly, without those cheap looking pickup rings. Maybe one day...

You probably found out, but the MH2015 was their anniversary model. To answer your question, my 1001 is Korea made. Haven't tried the newer Jacksons or any KM newer than first gen, but I am interested in KM gen 3.

Hope you're doing well and this message finds it's way to you one day

Pierre R.

Hi Danijel,I'm well thanks. I hope all's well with you,well after a year with my 401nt I decided to get rid of it due to fact that I started having issues with the volume pot not functioning (it was always full on even when rolling back the knob) and I developed a dead fret @ the 15 (if I remember correctly) on my high E and I simply didn't like or trust the battery compartment,It seemed really flimsy and not well thought out compared to my other active guitar. To be fair the guitar felt really solid and looked and sounded great,but fell a little short of my expectations given what I paid for it. My benchmarks are my two Jackson slsmg's (made in Japan) the 401nt simply was a notch below in the playability/fit and finish and fretwork areas. I'm not giving up on ESP though as I know they make great guitars,and like every company there are occasional issues but I will eventually go for a Korean made 401nt. I haven't picked up a 7 yet but it's my next purchase,my choices are down to a km7 mk1 or mk2 or the mh-417 made in Korea. On the amp side I got rid of my two heads and picked up Headrush gigboard and a couple of frfr112's and it's killer! I will pick up an evh 50w as I still love tube amps. What are you playing through ampwise? My style is prog speed/thrash

Danijel J.

Oh yes, two years later! This feels like meeting an old friend or aquaintance, although we don't know each other.

Amp wise I play through Peavey triple X with slanted standard Rectifier cab, but this setup is at my parents house so I rarely get a chance to fire it up. I'm waiting for FM3 to start shipping; for now, it's Neural DSP plugins. Music-wise I'm into death and everything death-flavoured. Are you making music, do you have something online? I'm trying to finish an EP by the end of the year, it's kind of a personal goal. Did you consider MH1007 evertune over MH417?

Pierre R.

Into Death and everything death flavoured,I love the band Death saw them on the Symbolic tour and wow they were Soooo good man. Morbid Angel Covenant and Domination were pretty wild as well. The triple xxx is a nice amp its got a pretty clear and punchy tone with the different settings and the the el34/6l6 switch,and of course the boogie cab is a tank. I'm late to the game with getting set up online but these days seems like one of the best ways to "get out there". And yourself? Any of your music to check out?

Danijel J.

Not yet, I'm writing new riffs and checking if I can use old ones for an EP. I'll post it here once it's up online. Actually trying to get inspiration from Morbid Angel these days

tom B.

I surely do not know much about the guitar playing codes or anything related to music. However, I know more about writing since I got to know the review website https://alltopreviews.com/services/grabmyessay where anybody reviews any writing service and picks the best one according to their requirements though.

Post to Thread