ESP LTD M-10 Made in Vietnam vs Made in China

Updated
ESP LTD M-10 Made in Vietnam vs Made in China

Is there any difference between a Made in Vietnam ESP LTD and a Made in China ESP LTD M-10? I was in a shop yesterday and saw a significant price difference between the M-10s. The sales guy was trying to convince me that the Vietnamese M-10s were better made, and there was significant difference in wood, craftsmanship and tonal quality when compared to the cheaper Chinese M-10. I was not convinced. So thought of asking here first.  

I'm a beginner and the price difference is considerable. At the same time, I wouldnt mind shelling out more for the better M-10 if there really is a difference between the 2. So is there really a difference between the 2 or its all hogwash?

TIA

Pushead

It's been a long while since I've tried any guitar in the beginners lines, but I suspect there isn't much difference between the Chinese and Vietnamese M-10.  I'd buy the cheaper one, and put the extra cash toward the cable/amp/tuner and lessons.

Welcome to the world of guitar!

Matthew M.

vietnam made in my opinion are more well made than china

carl t.

From what i've found in the chinese market is anthything below 1000 us dollar retail, ther is almost no Quailty contrtrol assurance at all.

what i seem to follow was if a worker was behind they just moved the product on. whether it had there part of the asembly finished or not.

On the contrary side I've purchased multiple of a certain items that reatails USA 200 to 400 dollars and the all work perfect. The models have been totally diferent.

It just depends on the companies motivation. In 1995 CTX moniitors had hundred of millions of US dollars in profits . A few years later they were bankrupt because they owners raided the corporite accounts.  CTX was broke overnight. (B/S). If You Think International banking Laws will protect your money (LOL) good luck.

The American owners of fellows shredders moved to china only to find themselfs lock out ot their own company a couple years later. happen to goolge to.

I dont know if this story is true or not but after GM went chapter11 in the US. The chinese built bolt for bolt a chevy Trailblazer.   Tthe reponce from the so called perpetraters was sue us in international court and se how far it gets you. This whole Thing about the trailblazer may or may not be nothing but a fable that has no substance. I've purchased many products from china ranging from 10 us to over 2000 us dollars. It falls back to the ols saying (and this goes USA or not)

LET THE BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!.   Musical instrument have a few things that most other things the chinese sell.   (Touch, Feel, Aperance, sound,  Finish has a direct  effect on how the instrument will play and sound). Some of what I said may sound redundent but if your a decent player or Luthier,, you know what iam talking about. 

ENOUGH SAID 

Pushead

For what it's worth (in a two-year-old thread), I have a Chinese made LTD EC-401b (Eclipse baritone) which is surprisingly good.  My main guitars are ESP Standard Eclipses, but I was looking for an inexpensive baritone.  I wasn't expecting a lot from the LTD, but it really surpassed my expectations.

Getting back to the OP's dilemma, unfortunately there's only so nice any company is going to make their lowest-priced guitar range.  I stand by my recommendation above.

Rob Bedard

I wouldn't think there's a difference. I have the China made one but all you really need to do is change the pickups. I'm changing mine to EMG 81/60. More of a Metallica sound. 

Pushead

Instead of putting $200 worth of pickups in to a guitar that costs $200 brand new, I'd suggest saving the money and buying a nicer guitar. Especially if the M-10 is your only electric guitar.

Luther B.

I live in Hanoi. There is a guitar building tradition here. Hit and miss, to be honest. But, I played an ESP Vietnam Les Paul thingy the other day and could not put it down. Really fun to play and the price is right. Fit and finish was excellent for the money. I'd pay it proudly, and I've been at it 40 years and owned tons of gear.

J M.

Well, I have owned a couple of LTD EC256's and one is Made In Vietnam.  Not impressive at all. I just purchased my third EC256 and it is Made In China. Totally flawless. So thats two Made in China Guitars that are perfect... 

William W.

I have a Vietnamese EC-256 in the iced tea burst. It is absolutely flawless and beautiful. Its the gigging back up to my Gibson LP Standard. No worries, no complaints.

Post to Thread