Distressed EC 256's by LTD

Updated
Malikon
Hey everyone, first post. I recently discovered the LTD distressed series and seem to have contracted a bad case of gas over the EC 256 goldtop. I've never owned an LTD before but I've been playing over 20 years. I usually play Strats and LP's. But man I can't stop thinking about that goldtop! It's been really hard to find decent pics or reviews of this guitar, so I was wondering if anyone here could chime in with pics or experience with these series it would really help me to make up my mind about purchasing one. Thanks. I hope the LTD is as good as I hope it will be, I'm curious and anxious about getting a new guitar from a new (to me) company.
Malikon

I don't do eBay.

I'm asking specifically about the EC 256.

Basically I'm hoping it's at least as good as Epiphones recent (2010) level of quality. Hardware and pickups can easily be replaced. I'm concerned with build quality and the quality of the fretwork.

Velt017

Its very hit and miss. I've played some top notch fretwork on some lower models and I've played some junk ones.

Justinschut

Guitarist in my band just got the black one, he likes it but he's used to BC Rich :p
Haven't played it yet tho.

Just see if you can find one (or more) in a store/stores and see what you think. If you find one you like, go for it

Malikon

that EC 300ATS does indeed look cool. But I can't find it in any stores, just eBay. And I don't trust eBay.

the 256 seems to be the only goldtop LP type with humbuckers that I can find that's by a company I've heard of. Epiphone has a nice looking goldtop, but it comes with p90's and I'd rather have humbuckers.

Jay Turser, Xavier and Agile have goldtops, but I didn't have a good experience with my Agiles and I'd rather not go down that road again.

So it seems the 256 is really the only new goldtop I can find by a well known company that I can purchase from a well known store. (Like MF, GC, Elderly, Music123, SamAsh, etc.)

Plus I like that the 256 has a brown back and not a black one.

I'm hoping it turns out to be nice because if I really dig it I might retire my Epiphone and start saving up for that vintage black EC1000 that looks, "oh so sexy."

serge-fabrizio

I love my EC-256 goldtop, much better than the assorted epiphones I've tried/owned over the years. I hope you like the relicing though, cos the finish on the back will be chipping off in a matter of weeks, looks awesome if you like your guitars looking beaten to shit though.

Malikon

actually I'm finding the 'beat to shit' look a bit endearing. To my eyes the website photo looks pretty good, like an old guitar.

All my other guitars are still too pretty. Damn indestructible poly coating, lol.

And you're saying the 256 is better quality then the Epiphone? You Sir just made my day. Now I'm even more excited to get it.

That was my thinking was that if the 256 is good, then it's worth saving up for the vintage black 1000.

Then again if the 256 is really good maybe I'll just get another 256 in black!

I'm excited man, shame I have to wait a couple months to order it.

I'm glad you said it will continue to relic as well. Someone told me that the 'wear' on these guitars is just stickers, and that the entire guitar is coated in poly. Which, when looking at internet photos that just doesn't seem to be the case. But I reasoned that if the wear was indeed a sticker, it's probably nothing some sand paper can't fix.

This will be my first non-poly/Reliced guitar and the thin (looking) finish is part of the appeal.

Pushead

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the finish on the 256 is poly, and in-fact, there is a clear coat over the reliced portions of the guitar.

Malikon

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the finish on the 256 is poly, and in-fact, there is a clear coat over the reliced portions of the guitar.

I don't know because I still haven't seen one in person, but the internet photos look like a thin satin finish.

I'm not going to be crushed or anything if it's poly, it is what it is. I just really need another LP type guitar and I'm through giving Gibson/Epiphone any more money. So I need a good and reliable alternative.

These ESP EC's seem to be the best alternative. I don't care for the Ibanez Art ones or any of the other single cut models available like the Schector Solo 6.

The ESP manages to somehow look new and modern, yet still old/vintage at the same time. And making heavy music with old looking gear is like, my whole thing. Lol.

I really don't care for 'modern' guitars or fancy guitars at all. So it's very time consuming and limiting trying to find a guitar that fits my needs. But the EC256 looks absolutely perfect for what I want. Modern vintage.

Justinschut

Epi < 256 << EC1000

serge-fabrizio

There is a satin finish on the top, but whatever's on the back is pretty insubstantial. The top on mine is still just the factory relicing, but the back is chipped to hell from general use, I can practically scrape the finish off with my finger nail, I like the reliced look though so I'm not bothered.

rrrcustom

I know you said specifically you're interested in the 256, and that's fine. I was JUST looking at those on the Red Dirt Brothers Guitars site. They also have an aged vintage sunburst one. For the price, they seem awesome. I saw them at the NAMM show, and seem solid, but I haven't bought one yet as the only guitar that I've bought that were under $400 were just not good enough for me.

I'm currently GASsing for an EC1000 T/C TM myself. At $800-ish, I'm pretty comfortable with the level of quality. I'm waiting for a good sale at GC to pull the trigger.

DUKE

I'm GASing hard for a white EC-1000CTM. GAHHH

Rusty

I just found an ec-256 gold top road worn at a pawn ship and didn't notice any coating.

Post to Thread