I need HELP! Does anyone have ANY info on the LTD not ESP M-2

Updated
anthonyblack
Its real, Im looking right at it! I cant find ANY information on this guitar anywhere on the internet. I was told by the guy I got it from that it was the first LTD ever made and it was made in Japan. However the production cost was too high and it was discontinued. I dont know if thats true or whats going on, can anyone out there shed a little light on this subject and drop me some information on this thing! Its a fantastic guitar, I love it! I have the serial number if that helps, its stamped at the very bottom of the neck. I can also take a few pictures. Its got a reverse headstock and looks a lot like the ESP M-II but I dont know what pickups, wood, or anything else. Also, I'm new here. Welcome me. haha
kongssund

Maybe send an email to esp and ask?

Jan S.

that looks weird to me...

The LTD logo is not what I'm used to see, the headstock says M-2, and I don't think I've ever seen that, it's usually M-II...
The screws of the neck are not positioned the way they normally are, and there is no neckplate, which I believe ESP used already since the beginning...

Then again, I'm by all means no expert... Sorry I couldn't be of more help

anthonyblack

It looked weird to me too, I'm also used to seeing the neck plate. Here is the weirdest thing, there was an online discussion that I have since lost the link to, where there was a few different people who also had LTD M-2 guitars! Apparently they were also released in a H-S-S configuration as well as mine too, So it cant be a fake or about 10 guys across the country also were faked out. That seems pretty unlikely because usually its just some dude who can slap a logo on there. This is the most mysterious guitar in history.

I just sent an email to ESP asking about it, I really hope it doesnt end up being fake. However another guy in the other discussion (that i really suck for losing the link to) said he had contacted ESP and they couldnt offer MUCH information on it but they did have some. If I was going to fake an LTD I dont think i'd spend the time to stamp a serial number on it as well as put a licenced floyd rose in it.

This is all really intriguing.

anthonyblack

Even weirder, every single person on that forum has a different configuration or version of the m-2. I have no idea whats going on here.

OutlawTorn

this is a catalog shot from 1997, according to wiki page, LTD brand line was started in '96.... you should e-mail ESP directly and see if they have any information on it.

1997 ESP Catalog: LTD M-2/Eclipse/Mirage

anthonyblack

Mine is different from that as you can tell in the pictures, but im liking the fact they actually did make an m-2 guitar haha. I'm awaiting an email back from ESP now.

serpent

From what I was told they were only made 96-97. That is all I have on the guitar. You'll definitely have to post what they say. Especially anything about the SFT-70A bridge. I have 1 as well (purple). Whenever I Googled the about the bridge all that came up was a Vestor guitar. The page at harmony-central is about the guitars in the catalog pic. Maybe the first one is about a guitar like you and I have, but the rest are not. They are for the m-ii, m-ii deluxe, and mirage LTD's. Also, I have also seen an LTD EX with nothing but 2 dots at the 12th. Not sure what all models they made this way.

brandono61cr

looks like the headstock has been bit lol

anthonyblack

ESP emailed me back today just saying that it could be a first year LTD, and to send them pictures to verify. So we wait again. I love the mystery. haha

1point8t

Yea that was probably a 1995 model... the newer 97ish+ models didn't have the neck binding and tended to have a humbucker and slanted single coil, as well as the Schaller/ESP trem bridge vs the licensed one you have. It's definitely not a fake. They're definitely scarce but I have seen the exact same guitar on the web and for sale on ebay.

anthonyblack

Out of curiosity what were they selling for online?

serpent

I got mine for $300 with shipping, from a store in upper NY or CT. The EX style I seen was $699 on Ebay. I should've asked what the person knew about it. If I see again I will, it didn't sell. Anyway $250-300 seems to be the price for the M-2. A guy in CA was asking $250 for his, that is who I got the little info I did. He had bought it new in '96, but it could have been NOS. His also had the SFT bridge. I only have seen 1 other on the bay, it was the same guy from CA.

anthonyblack

Oh right on, I got it in a trade for a beat up jackson performer and I really like the thing. I'm more of a fan of the arch top MH style stuff but this thing is working out for me well. I dont think i'll be selling it or anything because its kind of a cool piece to keep around.

Post to Thread