Gibson Gothic VS ESP Explorer (MX or EXP, Not EX)

Updated
Gibson Gothic VS ESP Explorer (MX or EXP, Not EX)
I'm looking to pickup either the Gibson Gothic Explorer (1999/2000) or a 1990s MX130 or EXP and am having trouble deciding. So, I'm curious to get some opinions here. I've been looking at Explorers (excluding the EX since I'm looking for the true Explorer shape) and I can't seem to find a good comparison between an ESP Explorer and a Gibson Gothic (not Epiphone) Explorer. I know the Gothic is out of production, as is the ESP, but I was hoping someone with experience with both might have some insight as to which is better. The only thing I will say is that I'd like to leave the current MX series from Japan out of the equation as it's cost-prohibitive.
Dark Alone

Any ESP Explorer is going to cost you double if not more than a Gibson.

The ESP is arguably "better." But is it double the price better? That's where I'd say no.

Take that for what it's worth.

singlecoilpickup

Well, the Gibson Gothic seems to go for about 800 - 1200, depending, and the 1990's MX130s seem to be similar in price, but much harder to come by. The old EXPs are even cheaper at around 300 - 600, but I don't care for the bolt on neck.

Dark Alone

Well then it comes down to the little differences, such as body shape and pickguards. Other than that it sounds like you know what you need to know. You make the call.

singlecoilpickup

I know, that's why I'm having a hard time deciding. The reason I was looking for some input was that I've never gotten to play the ESP Explorer, so I was hoping for some feedback if there was anyone who has played both guitars on things like the neck shape and the sound. But thanks.

Pushead

The neck on an ESP MX (or at least mine) is wider than my Gibson or my old LTD EXP. The profile is very similar between the three guitars.

The sound is different, but that's mostly due to the pickups.

Metfuk

The neck on an ESP MX (or at least mine) is wider than my Gibson or my old LTD EXP. The profile is very similar between the three guitars.

That's interesting.
Because the neck on my MX130 feels even more fat than a Gibson, while I always thought all MX series would be smaller, because if they are true James models (which they are not, apparently) the neck should be smaller.

I really liked the neck shape on the EXP-200 when I had one. It was just a bit less big than a Gibson.

singlecoilpickup

Thanks! I think I would install a set of EMGs in the Gibson if I went that route. So I assume they'd end up sounding pretty similar then. So it's really going to just boil down to aesthetics or which one I find at a good price first. Thanks for the info.

garyjfoster

i modified my 76 reissue...i would go in that direction...or check ebay

singlecoilpickup

That is one sexy axe. I think I've decided to go Gibson. A lot of the EXPs I keep finding are either really beat up or over priced. I found an EXP-200 that's in good shape, but it was $700. I have a hard time justifying that price for a bolt on neck and pickups that need to be replaced. I really would like to find a Gibson gothic, but a lot of those are beat up too. I might just get a black '76 and replace the pickguard with a black one or a stainless steel one. I think I saw Metfuk had one like that and it looked pretty tight.

Metfuk

I think I saw Metfuk had one like that and it looked pretty tight.

I don't have one like that.
But if you want to buy a new pickguard for a Gibson...I saw on ebay last week a couple of cool pickguards (metal ones) for sale. Maybe you can check them out.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Dark Alone

That Gibby looks hot.

8o

dawg

post some pictures

Post to Thread