Best "bedroom" amp for EC-1000 Sey. D.

Updated
viking2valhalla
Fellas: In your opinion, what is the best amp for the "bedroom"/practice amp for the ESP LTD EC-1000 with Seymour Duncan pups? I would prefer one that has built in effects as opposed to buying a micro-processor. I currently have a Squier PA system 100 watts with a Digitech 350 for effects, but I can't really get the tone I am looking for. I play mostly blues, rock, and jazz. Would like to keep it under $650.00 if possible in terms of spending cash. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
moosemeister

Get a line 6 combo amp. Those are really nice. I have a Line 6 Combo and I love it to death.

It pretty much has any setting to suit your style.

bloodstyle

I own a Roland Cube 30x and it's awsome for any kind of music + there is a sound compressor to have the quality loud sound but without the loud volume :D

OutlawTorn

I own a Roland Cube 30x and it's awsome for any kind of music + there is a sound compressor to have the quality loud sound but without the loud volume :D

+1 i have that amp in my room right now

tee5150ii

With that kind of budget, get a POD X3 and run that through the PA. Should suit you well and give you plenty of options for finding a tone you are happy with.

idpmofo

Vox or Cube

Apox

I really would like to hear how does those pups sound especially 59'

Any classics riff would do.. :)

mr. tickles

Mesa Triple Recto full stack.

guitarnoob

He said a bedroom, not a stadium

MattiaS

I cite me:

"I prefer 3169841651 times the VOX valvetronix over the Spider.... the Spider have the worst distortion modeling what i heard.

The 12AX7 after de Digital/Analog converter into the Vox really makes a difference, the sound is more real than the spider's sound and adds an extra punch to the preamp.

I have a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto and the amp that I would buy for a Room practice definitivly would be a VOX valvetronix.

Cheers!"

This is from a Thread in the Equipment forum call "AMP for ESP V-500"

That's it.

Cheers!

Butch

pod x3 and pc speakers

Metallikid

Krank Rev Jr. It's small but sounds great, although it is a bit pricey.

Gil

I suggest getting a VOX Valvetronix amp. I have a 50 watter and it sounds great with onboard effects and all. one of the cooler features is a little knob on the back that controls the power to the loudspeaker so you can have you're Cranked up tone with out the cranked up volume. I'd suggest getting the 100 watter with the old school diamond grille clothe.

Dixie Whiskey

I'd also check out the Tech 21 Trademark series.

SpiderPig

Microcube. Buy it, that will be the best thing you have ever bought. Its awesome

k65h

Well, I would assume you have a computer, since your on here.

I would say a Pod XTL or X3.

Then you can use your computer as a bedroom practice amp.
Plus, have the ability to record onto the computer.

You can hook the Pod up via USB, or if you have good sound-card, with an interface, you
can usually hook up via 1/4" jack.
I use a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum.
Also gives me the ability to plug headphones into the computer via the Audigy front panel interface.

The Line 6 software like Toneport and Line6 Edit are great and easy to use programs for in depth tweaking of your sounds.

I also have a Flextone III XL.
Which is really nice for small gigs, jams, and recording as well.
The Flextones are more straight forward though, and don't offer as many features as the Pods. Basic 32 amp models and basic effects like Chorus, Delay, Reverb, and Flange.

I have heard of guys dumping the Flex's presets and installing the HD147's presets.
Don't really know how successful it was though.

Gil

the only reason I would suggest a microcube is because you can use batteries with it :). But I have a valvetronix non-xl that works great.

AJB1965

In your budget there are dozens of great options.  Fender Mustang GT-40 (version 2.0) is a great small practice amp that's stereo and has headphone out.  Boss Katana Air is a bit more expensive, but is wireless and also stereo.  Blackstar makes some nice practice amps, but a little weak on higher gain.  Blackstar also makes a 5 watt tube amp that has an effects loop that would suit bedroom practice, but you would need to get some pedals for any delay or modulation.  I would steer away from the Marshall Code, they just sound harsh.  Line 6 Amplifi is another great option.  Looks more like a bluetooth speaker or a big lunch box depending on the model, and is controlled via a very nice phone app instead of onboard controls.

As others have mentioned, you can certainly use your PC as an amp.  Pick up a Focusrite Solo or 2i2 for 100-150 bucks and there is a plethora of amazing amp sims out there.  Scuffham S-Gear is great for blues and rock but is limited on effects.  Bias FX has all the bells and whistles, and so does Amplitube and all 3 will run standalone without requiring a DAW.

I have owned or used all of the above amps and amp sims, and spent a year trying to find one that suited me best.  I chose the Fender GT40 for physical amp, but all my recording and bedroom playing is done with S-Gear or Bias.

Good luck!

Post to Thread