Post your LTD's

Updated
Slatanic
I'll post mine up in a bit
deus ex machina

...?

EMG humbuckers' (the old non-X series) internal preamp clips if you strum the strings hard, but that's about it. It is subtle, tho, and that is part of what gives them their characteristic "compressed" and "saturated" tone. If you 18V mod them and/or pick soft, the clipping is less noticeable/not there at all. The "clipping" thing can be a desirable quality, tho.

Also, yeah, they're hot pickups, so they cause earlier tube breakup than other lower-output pickups. Since they tend to sound better up close to the strings and they're high-output, they can be a little prone to feedback, but nothing that cannot be controlled.

Is that what you mean?

That is how they work, tho. That is part of why the people that like them... well... like them. That is not a flaw or anything. There's no signal cutout or degradation. Matter of fact, being active, they tend to be much less picky about impedance mismatching when you're running DI boxes or different amps' inputs, signal degradation from long cable runs, etc.

There commonly is lots of misinformation when it comes to EMG's. I'm not saying all, but I'm sure a big part of the whole "yeah, d00d!1!! I hate actives!!1 they're sterile and lifeless" crowd tried some guitar with the 81/85 combo and doesn't realize EMG makes like 30 other different pickups than can be used in the bridge or neck position...

rockithard

Yeah, that's what I meant. You hear a lot about things, wether it's true or not. I know nothing about active pups, thus the questions. I personally like them myself, like I said earlier, my friend never had any problems with them, and I do want a set on my KH pretty soon. Thanks for disspelling the myths about active pups and giving me good answers. Talk at ya all laterz...

rumblebox

even though i hate the tone and manners of EMG's, i can honestly say i never had any malfunctions with them. they always worked.

rockithard

even though i hate the tone and manners of EMG's, i can honestly say i never had any malfunctions with them. they always worked.

Like what, rumblebox?

rumblebox

i just prefer the higher resonance peak passives offer, picking dynamics, and just general tone. after using passives for a year or so, whenever i pick up an EMG guitar and play it, i just feel like there's a pillow in front of the amp..... or like i'm using 100ft of cheap cable.... i dunno. just a personal preference.

and FYI, i tried the 18v mod and i started using 85's in the bridge and 60's in the neck. that was the combo i was happiest with before switching to passives.

i just wish i had tried passives years sooner than i did, but if i had to use actives again, i'd use blackouts.

Murdoc

I just did the 27v mod on my 81 set and I think it sounds pretty badass! Although I'm comparing it to my Fender with those Lace Sensors in it. Pfffft, the bridge has to be replaced at least! It sucks ass!!

rockithard

Yeah, Blackouts have some respective stats to them. The one thing I like about them, is how they respond to different pick attacks. I read up on these and wanted a set myself. One day they'll come out with a blended pup, that works both active and passively, so you get the best of both worlds, and broader tone...

rockithard

Heya JDR, what does that do for your EMGs, the 27 volt mod, I mean?

deus ex machina

Heya JDR, what does that do for your EMGs, the 27 volt mod, I mean?
Basically, the same as the 18V mod thing I mentioned raising the headroom and, thus, clipping less.

EMG states that there is not nearly as much difference between running the EMG's at 18 or 27V as there is between 9 and 18V.

load more replies (2 of 2)
rockithard

Ok, more headroom makes sense. Didn't know if more voltage meant more power, or whatever. I think I've learned all I can about active pups, a lot more than I ever knew before. Thanks all you guys, I've been schooled and in a way that i understand. Thanks deux ex machina for all your input, for explaining the scientific reasons why it all works. Have a great evening...

deus ex machina

True but since I had the extra room in the 'tronics cavity and I had four 9v harnesses I said WTH. I went from 9v straight to 27 so I don't know what the 18v sounded like.
Yeah... I don't blame ya. I would try the 27V mod as well if I had an extra rechargeable battery lying around, TBH. :lol

Ok, more headroom makes sense. Didn't know if more voltage meant more power, or whatever.
Yeah, non-X series EMG's don't really become "hotter" in the traditional sense with the 18V mod... Just really less compressed-feeling since they're not clipping... which kinda also translates into "broader" treble and bass response. Subtle difference, tho. It's definitely not night an day.

load more replies (1 of 1)
rockithard

Dang, that's a lot of confusion in the tronics cavity on ur guitar. Almost gives me a headache just lookin' at it. I bet that had to be fun work on ur guitar, huh? I hate soldering, but I do it when needed, just don't care for it personally. Approx how long did it take you to complete ur project? Nice work anyways...

Justinschut

Needs moar stringz

and a bridge and some knobs maybe

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Needs moar stringz

and a bridge and some knobs maybe

The picture is pretty old, so I'm pretty sure everything is set up. :p

There's only one pickup and one volume knob, since I feel the 85 doesn't really need use of the tone knob. Already a pretty smooth pickup on it's own.

I also re-painted the headstock blue. Thinking about looking for an ESP decal for it, but not sure if I should get the block-style or script-style version.

load more replies (1 of 1)
NeedsMoreBlueBell

Well, I checked Best-decals a few hours ago, and they did have the script ESP logo I wanted. Unfortunatly for JDR, the only ESP logos they have is the ESP Custom for In-line headstocks and the ESP Custom Shop decal for the back of the headstock.

rockithard

Sorry about that JDR, glad u found them, NMBB, I like to help out when I can. Laterz guys, have fun...

shathe

go for the confusion factor and slap a fender decal on there.
as long as you're going to fuck with it (don't take that the wrong way, i like fucking with things), you could slap an ESP on there. or buy a couple of LTD or ESP decals and cut and paste them so it says EEP of DDT or TP or PSS or PEP or SSS or PEST...

rockithard

lmao...

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Nah, I'll get a Gibson decal. I'm in the mood to get sued right now... :P

rockithard

Again, lmao, hehehehehe...

NeedsMoreBlueBell

I just know a Tele with a bridge bucker = win. :D

Although I'd probably destroy the tele "charm" by throwing in a Dimarzio Chopper T or a Duncan STHR-1 in the bridge. :P

Taj21

Thanx was looking for something different I have 10 strats so needed change of pace .it plays pretty good last owner had huge strings on it so needs some tweaking not sure Im lovin the PU's little muddy the neck is killer though

Post to Thread