Eclipse I or II?

Updated
Steven M.

Hi,

Just bought an Eclipse from 2012. Does anybody know its correct model? I presumed a II by the catalog but Pushead and his excellent guide leads to me to think I. 

Any comments welcome!

Thanks. 

Pushead

Yep, a 2012 Eclipse I CTM in vintage black. Looks great, congrats!

Steven M.

Thanks, Pushead If it weren’t for you I’d not be here!

Do you know its spec? Neck and pickups in particular. Ever change pickups?

Steven M.
Pushead wrote:

Yep, a 2012 Eclipse I CTM in vintage black. Looks great, congrats!

PS why do the catalogues I’ve looked at for around 12 show only IIs/three-knob models? 

Pushead

American catalogs don't show an Eclipse like yours because in 2005 ESP stopped advertising the 4 knob version in North America because it was the height of the Gibson/PRS lawsuit over the PRS SC models. That was really when ESP modified the Eclipse shape and went back to the 3 knob layout. That body style was referred to the USA shape. I don't know why they called them all the II models.

The images I have in the know your Eclipse thread were scanned from a catalog from Australia (I think, I forget which of my guitars it came with.) Australia and Europe still had access to the wider array of models including several that weren't available in the US.

Spec for your model is EMG 60(n)/81(b). It's advertised as ESP's "Thin U" neck shape which is around .83" at the 1st fret and .89" at the 12th (20 & 22mm, I think.) Mahogany body with a maple cap. Mahogany neck with an ebony fret board. 24.75" scale. Looks like the old style Gotoh Magnum-lock tuners which use a screwdriver to unlock. The rest of the hardware is also Gotoh. It also looks like you have Schaller Strap Locks, but you probably already know that.

I've changed the pickups in several of the Eclipses. If you've ever done it before, it's not any harder or easier than swapping them in any other guitar.

Steven M.

Pushead Any setup tips? I’ve got a little relief, action at around 1.5mm at the 12th, but choking a little up at the higher frets. Thanks!

Pushead

I think I replied to your post on the Fanatics page, but here's the setup video I made last year.

Pushead

And if you don't want to watch 20 minutes of me looking stupid, here's the numbers I use to start all of my setups.

Post to Thread