ESP 487

Updated
ESP 487

I recently snagged up an ESP 487 model from a little Ma & Pa music store. I ended up down the Google Rabbit-Hole for hours trying to find info on it and it always leads back to a music store in New York in the 1980's. Not sure if it's correct or not. An image search finds a few others that look like mine as far as hardware and headstock, but not much else. Any extra info would be appreciated.

All I've gathered so far is that it's a 1987 model, has a Sinclair version 1 tremolo and the original 3 Stacked Blade style humbuckers with an active boost system. The trem is dirty in the pics, but it cleaned up VERY nicely and had ZERO pitting, which I was actually expecting. I also found a guy that makes the trem bars for these as this didn't have one when I got it.

It played "OK", but needed the frets dressed and cleaned as well as a couple leveled. Other than that, the neck and neck hardware are in amazing shape. The pickups all worked and the boost system worked as well, although it looked like someone was already in there and put in a new volume pot. My guitar repair guy said the tone pot may be original. He is going to re-solder everything because whoever did it was more than likely the same person who spray painted the guitar and tinfoil-lined the electronics cavity. 

I had to drill out and fill the pickguard holes as most of them were stripped. I also had to take a razorblade to the pickguard edges as they were also painted with model paint to cover up the 3-ply Black/White/Black edges. It cleaned up nicely, although I do have a new pickguard coming. The only other mod I've made was adding a battery box on the back for the 9-volt system. I hate the idea of having to remove strings and pickguard up front just to change batteries. The body "looks" to have been originally black with a black pickguard, but it's getting shipped out to be stripped and repainted Snow Pearl White

Anyone else here have more info or can verify if what I found was correct or ???

Thanks in advance

Larry M.

Your journey with the ESP 487 is akin to piecing together a musical puzzle from the 1980s. The effort you have invested in addressing issues like fret dressing and pickguard restoration while maintaining its integrity is evident.
Skip Tracing Services in Austin TX

Post to Thread