NGD TE463?

Updated
Kevin H.

Hi, I just scored this 400 series yesterday off CL.  I read the info here which is helpful.  This one seems to be a bit of a rare bird indeed because after a couple days searching the web I can't find one like it.  It's a Tele, has the black and gold ESP logo and the headstock seems to be between the more pointy and more rounded.  What makes it unusual is the body is 1 piece swamp ash or sen, I can't tell the difference and it's double bound.  The only light colored 400 series I found are blonde and the double bound ones all painted although I read mention there were sunburst 400 series as well. 

When I bought it yesterday I was worried the body may have been aftermarket because of the fact that I couldn't find another like it.  The seller wouldn't let me take the neck off (can't really blame him) so I was torn whether to buy it or not but took the plunge figuring worst case was I was getting a really nice warmoth quality body with 400 series neck, bridge, tuners.  But when I broke her down it became clear the neck and body were legit and matched.  There is the same pencil marking on the neck and body that look like a date but doesn't really make any sense.  Looks like it says 11-1-1 or possibly 1-1-11, either way doesn't seem to match an obvious 80's model.  There are quite a few other markings in the neck pocket so as soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll put some up to see if anyone recognizes the markings and can make sense of it.  

One thing about the guitar is the pickups aren't original and it has gotten the Ron Wood treatment with a HB'er in the neck position.  An older Seymour Duncan 59er, damn nice pup, and it has a SD hotrails in the bridge which also works well in this guitar.  I assume it was routed after market to fit the HB but it's a pretty clean job.

LOL I just realized I forgot to take any pictures of the guitar before taking her apart because I was so worried about it being a parts-caster.  With those fears relieved I took a couple semi-assembled.  

Love to get some replies and hopefully it's okay to start a new thread rather than posting at the end of the 400 series strat thread but I think I will get more views and hopefully info posting a new topic.

Thanks, Kevin

Post to Thread