ESP KH-2 neck and pots maintainance

Updated
Torshalla

Hi,

i just bought a 1999 ESP KH-2 and have a couple of questions.

First off I really love it... feels and sounds great... it really is a great quality instrument.

It is 20 years old and in very good condition apart from a couple of things:

- a part of the neck has darkened... i guess the wood got exposed and dirt got in... what would be the best way to clean it up or at least protect it to avoid it getting worse? See attached pic...

- when turning the volume pots there is some crackle and in some positions the sound cuts off... can that be repaired or do they need replacing?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Tom

ESP 348

Congrats on the KH2, they are the best and my fav guitars!

The neck on that looks like the same as the back of the neck on 2001 KH2.

NO idea on how to 'clean or protect it', but hopefully someone else can share some info.

I have many others to play now, so I stopped playing that actual guitar now. But not because of this issue, just too many other ones to enjoy now.

Thanks sharing and enjoy in good health mate.

Pushead

The back of the neck looks like the finish has been worn through. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I suspect the dark spot is where the natural maple has absorbed some dirt and sweat. If you feel that you need to fix it, you'll have to have the back of the neck refinished.

Scratchy pots are fairly common. You may just be able to quickly turn it back and forth like 50 times to work out dust from the connectors. Contact cleaner helps the process, but you have to be pretty careful to only get it down into the center of the pot and not all over the finish of the guitar.

Torshalla

Thanks guys!

i guess i do not need to clean it for esthaetics... i just want to make sure it does not get worse.

Then again i see people spending more money for vintage guitars with already worn finish and dirty wood... so i guess my guitar will survive haha

Post to Thread