Early 90s MX250

Updated
Early 90s MX250

Hello fellow ESP (and especially Metallica) fans, a long timer here as a reader but never contributed anything, mostly because I never had much to contribute.  Been a Metallica fan since mid-89 at the tail-end of the Justice era, and been playing since almost 30 years.

Been searching for a MX220 or 250 to "collect" since years (and play, of course), went through years of just reading and being undecided, always asking myself when is the right occasion would be (and which exact model) to seriously pursue after one (and totally conditioned on what's available - on the market and in my wallet, of course).  Came close a few times, but never quite pulled it off for different reasons (and at least one unpleasant experience, luckily no money lost).

So I kept browsing from time to time but never rushed it, and months and years went by.  Plus, my knowledge of exactly how the MX's evolved, from the late 80s to early 90s, throughout the 90s into the 2000's, and into the current era, took its own time to accumulate (again, as a casual reader that was just slowly accumulating knowledge, thanks to places like this forum and the Internet at large).  It's easy to browse eBay or Reverb and every so often come across a good-looking MX from the 2000s, and be on the verge of pulling the trigger on buying, at the same time, every time I would see someone with a 90s MX (and you can get a lot on social media that I follow) I'd just be so envious and feeling totally undecided if I should just keep searching or settle for a less rare model.

And I know maybe I should have just bought in to this "club" sooner with whatever model I could get, and maybe over time trade up (or trader older) progressively, I guess I could have, but I didn't have the time to do this really extensively (not a young man with ample free time anymore), so I ended up constantly changing minds about what I would target and settle for.  If all this sounds laughable, that's ok, I laugh at myself too.

And finally, I came across one that just stood out and screamed at me.  Early 90s MX250, with the original bell truss rod cover - more specifically with a 2-screw version of the bell truss rod cover!  And most intriguingly, with a serial number printed on the back of the headstock that did not fit the interpretations you typically read on theforum here or on the Internet.  The serial is 13945574.  The seller, at least the second owner who has had it for almost a decade, can't pinpoint the exact year either, but believes it to be 1990 or 1991, which sounds about right from my own research too.

I contacted ESP Custom Shop, and asked for their opinion.  Here is what they replied:

"After some research and conferring with ESP Japan, we do believe this to be a legitimate ESP MX-250.  Although the serial number does not match the standard format from this time, we believe that this was manufactured in the early 1990's.  Although uncommon, we have run into several other instruments from this era with a similar serial number layout."

... and I didn't even think there *was* a "standard format" from that era LOL

Anyway, a very happy fanboy here, 30 years of under the spell of idolizing Mr. Hetfield on the stage with that iconic 'look', and feeling for the first time legitimate to be a part of this 'club', and yes showing off somewhat here which I tend to not like doing, but also contributing a bit - that not everything you read about serial numbers from the early era is the final word on it ;-)

Here is a picture of the guitar, cheers people!

Early 90s MX250

Raider_77

Does it have rosewood fretboard? Looks rosewood in the pic.Is it a bolt on?

skintera

yeah you’re very perceptive indeed that fretboard looks lighter than you’d expect from ebony but I would also say it looks darker than what I’d expect from rosewood... aside from subjective colour judgments any other sure way to tell between rosewood vs ebony?  this would have been made at the juncture between MX 220 and 250 so it’s hard to say if they had really stuck with one or the other yet

here is a close up, looking darker than rosewood to my eyes but indeed not as dark as I’d have thought for ebony... does wbony age?  this guitar ought to be almost 30 years old

ESP 348

Awesome guitar man! Congrats and enjoy.

ccart

Ebony has many shades and often companies die them darker.  The first pic is in direct sunlight as well so makes it look lighter.  I have an 2014 MX and the ebony is almost black (whether it was died or not I don't know), but I have a jackson with ebony and its like your second pic, dark brown not very dark, darker than rosewood.

Pushead

A closer photo of the fingerboard wood would help know for sure, but based on this pic, I'd say it's ebony. The grain is very tight, not porous, which rosewood typically would, even in a photo form this distance.

skintera

Thanks and you’re right it’s not much of a real close up, so here it is, with flashlight and post-capture brightness adjustments to really show the texture.  The more I look at it the more I think it might be rosewood, but really I’m not knowledgeable enough to properly distinguish between the two.  Let me know what you think!

Pushead

Ooo. That's is tough to tell. I guess I'd lean toward rosewood from this pic.

dubster82

Yeah, I'd defo say that's rosewood, a nice dark one though. Still a stunning guitar. Couple of Hetfield's are rosewood too though looking at the elk skull in particular 

ESPEXP

Looks like the guitar was made in 1995. I inquired about this guitar when it was forsale and the guy wouldn't give me the whole serial number. Then I asked him for the 5 digit of the serial number which indicates the year it was made, so I could verify if it was a 1990 or 91. He didn't respond. I attempted again a few months later, and he refused to give it to me. I zoomed into a picture he had in the auction and could see it was not a 0 or 1 so I figured it was later. Seeing your pics, it turns out its a '95. Could have been a custom order with the request for that truss rod cover and rosewood fingerboard. 

skintera

Yeah I was thinking of the same

ESPEXP

Also, the EMG-81 has an additional sticker with "IE" meaning it's an EMG from 1995.

skintera

interesting... can you elaborate? what is the IE for? thx

ESPEXP

If you have EMG pickups, they had a dating scheme in the 80’s and 90’s that was very easy to use.  And it may help you in tracking down just when your guitar, or at least the pickups were made.

It’s alpha code for the year of manufacture.
A=1
B=2
C=3
D=4
E=5
F=6
G=7
H=8
I=9
J=0

For example IE is 1995
IB – 1992, etc

ESPEXP

I know the other original EMG-81 pickup is a ‘96, so my guess would be that the guitar was built and painted at the end of ‘95 and then assembled in early ‘96.

skintera

great insights, thanks a lot!

Viktor M.

Darth Satanus

Is your MX neck angled or flat?  I can't seem to find any info on if ESP angles any of their necks.  Typically Explorers are angled next but I don't know that ESP went that way.  My KH-2 is flat.

Post to Thread