Eclipse School - Eclipse I vs Eclipse II and What CTM and Full Thickness Means

Updated
Eclipse School  - Eclipse I vs Eclipse II and What CTM and Full Thickness Means

Eclipse School Time!

There's been a bunch of questions and confusion about what "full thickness" or CTM means, and what's an Eclipse I vs an Eclipse II. Well, I'm snowed in tonight and bored, so I went through my 2008 Export Models Catalog (non North America) and I scanned these pages to help get an idea of what any of those terms mean.

Here's what I've figured out. (At least according to this catalog, who knows what the changes are year-to-year.)

Eclipse I Model - A mahogany body with a PLAIN maple top (or more commonly an opaque finish.) Must have 4 control knobs, similar to a Les Paul.

Eclipse II Model - A mahogany body with a FIGURED (quilt or flame) maple top. Eclipse II models can have either the 4-knob or 3-knob control layout. The 3-knob versions are called USA Eclipse II (which is different than the USA Custom Eclipse models.)

USA Eclipse II - When the Export Series started including 3-knob versions of the Eclipse, ESP started calling the 3-knob style the "USA Eclipse II" to avoid confusion (lol.) The USA Eclipse II has a modified body shape which has a different, flatter lower horn.

CTM (Custom Traditional Model) - The CTM designation (at least in 2008) means the guitar has an ebony fret board and mulit-ply binding. CTM models are not necessarily full Les Paul thickness. In this catalog there were no Eclipse II models with the CTM designation, even the 3-knob USA Eclipse II models, though I think that eventually changed.

FT (Full Thickness) - Full thickness refers to the body thickness. FT Eclipses are the same thickness as a Les Paul (55mm). Most 4 knob Eclipses are still thinner than a LP. FT does not mean the guitar has the more rounded horn of the out-of-production 4 knob guitars.

In 2008, none of the USA Eclipse II models had the CTM designation, and there was no USA Eclipse I. A brief look through the older PDF catalogs on the ESP guitars web page (link) makes me think there was never a 3-knob USA Eclipse I. Your guess is as good as mine as to why that would be.

I'm not sure which year ESP decided to stop making 4-knob Eclipses available in the Export Series (you can still find a 4-knob E-II Eclipse, but it's a rarity.)

It seems that all E-II models are just called Eclipse with no number designation.

Here are some photos to help show the differences:

Here is the difference between a Full Thickness Eclipse model (in the center), a Les Paul (on the left) and a regular Eclipse (on the right.) The Full Thickness model has a 55mm thick body, which is essentially the same thickness as a Les Paul.

Here's the difference between the CTM appointments (left) and a non CTM appointed guitar (right.) The CTM model has an ebony fingerboard and the multi-ply biding on the top and around the headstock. Both of these guitars are regular thickness Eclipse II models.

Here's a close view of the more modern horn of a USA Eclipse II vs the more rounded horn of the out-of-production, 4 knob Eclipses. It's also proof that I need to dust more.

And since this comes up occasionally, here's a view of the veneer top used on the old Standard Series and current E-II guitars. Unlike the LTD guitars, which just have a veneer over the mahogany body, the SS and E-II guitars have a maple cap with the figured veneer over top.

So there you have it. I need new hobbies and a better dusting schedule. I wouldn't call myself an expert, I just have a passing interest in the model.

Here's a video of everything you just read, because who wants to read when you can watch the movie instead?

EM

Wow, these look amazing. Wonder why they got rid of so many of the beautiful looking models

sy t.

Real or fake? Think it’s a 2004 ctm. Any help is appreciated

Pushead

It's legit. Yes, 2004.

sandy wheeler

Hi just acquired this ESP eclipse Can anyone tell me the model, Year, Value etc i know nothing about guitars just selling on behalf of a client in South Africa 

Thanks Sandy 

sandy@highrockssurfshop.co.za

Pushead

Hi Sandy, we'd need photos of the guitar to be able to help.

Nicholas  G.
Pushead wrote:

Eclipse School Time!

Dug that!!!!
There's been a bunch of questions and confusion about what "full thickness" or CTM means, and what's an Eclipse I vs an Eclipse II. Well, I'm snowed in tonight and bored, so I went through my 2008 Export Models Catalog (non North America) and I scanned these pages to help get an idea of what any of those terms mean.

Here's what I've figured out. (At least according to this catalog, who knows what the changes are year-to-year.)

Eclipse I Model - A mahogany body with a PLAIN maple top (or more commonly an opaque finish.) Must have 4 control knobs, similar to a Les Paul.

Eclipse II Model - A mahogany body with a FIGURED (quilt or flame) maple top. Eclipse II models can have either the 4-knob or 3-knob control layout. The 3-knob versions are called USA Eclipse II (which is different than the USA Custom Eclipse models.)

USA Eclipse II - When the Export Series started including 3-knob versions of the Eclipse, ESP started calling the 3-knob style the "USA Eclipse II" to avoid confusion (lol.) The USA Eclipse II has a modified body shape which has a different, flatter lower horn.

CTM (Custom Traditional Model) - The CTM designation (at least in 2008) means the guitar has an ebony fret board and mulit-ply binding. CTM models are not necessarily full Les Paul thickness. In this catalog there were no Eclipse II models with the CTM designation, even the 3-knob USA Eclipse II models, though I think that eventually changed.

FT (Full Thickness) - Full thickness refers to the body thickness. FT Eclipses are the same thickness as a Les Paul (55mm). Most 4 knob Eclipses are still thinner than a LP. FT does not mean the guitar has the more rounded horn of the out-of-production 4 knob guitars.

In 2008, none of the USA Eclipse II models had the CTM designation, and there was no USA Eclipse I. A brief look through the older PDF catalogs on the ESP guitars web page (link) makes me think there was never a 3-knob USA Eclipse I. Your guess is as good as mine as to why that would be.

I'm not sure which year ESP decided to stop making 4-knob Eclipses available in the Export Series (you can still find a 4-knob E-II Eclipse, but it's a rarity.)

It seems that all E-II models are just called Eclipse with no number designation.

Here are some photos to help show the differences:

Here is the difference between a Full Thickness Eclipse model (in the center), a Les Paul (on the left) and a regular Eclipse (on the right.) The Full Thickness model has a 55mm thick body, which is essentially the same thickness as a Les Paul.

Here's the difference between the CTM appointments (left) and a non CTM appointed guitar (right.) The CTM model has an ebony fingerboard and the multi-ply biding on the top and around the headstock. Both of these guitars are regular thickness Eclipse II models.

Here's a close view of the more modern horn of a USA Eclipse II vs the more rounded horn of the out-of-production, 4 knob Eclipses. It's also proof that I need to dust more.

And since this comes up occasionally, here's a view of the veneer top used on the old Standard Series and current E-II guitars. Unlike the LTD guitars, which just have a veneer over the mahogany body, the SS and E-II guitars have a maple cap with the figured veneer over top.

So there you have it. I need new hobbies and a better dusting schedule.

Thank you, please pull up to the second window to complete your order.

Pushead

Bump to say that I updated the original post to add a video I made of this very subject. Why did I make it, I have no idea. It seemed like a good way to waste a Sunday.

WhiteGrizzly

Thank you OP. Very helpful!

Do you know whether the LTD Elite Eclipse I in see through black with 24 frets (later sold as an E-II) was also sold with a maple cap? The 2013 catalogue only lists it with a maple top AFAIK.

Pushead

I suspect the LTD Elite line is the same as the E-II and SS guitars. I don't have any in-hands experience with one, but there was a weird overlap during 2014 with those guitars.

WhiteGrizzly

Would make sense as it was later sold under the M-Ii label as well.

Thank you!

WhiteGrizzly

I have another question: Do you use Schaller strap locks on your guitars? I know newer ESPs often come with them but I recently bought a 2013 LTD Elite (it was a bargain IMHO) that doesn't have them. It has some kind of default strap knobs. Is there anything to keep in mind when switching them for Schallers? I read in other forums that installing them on Gibson guitars can be a problem because of different screw / thread dimensions. Will I run into similar problems?

Pushead

The E-II guitars come with them stock. I put Schallers on all of mine and and can't think of any problems that I've run into.

I do have Les Pauls with Schallers as well. I was able to use the larger screw that was included in the pack and all is well.

WhiteGrizzly

Thank you.

Gfunk

Awesome Pusyhead!

Sorry I missed this post until now.  Great job regardless, great job!

Pushead

Thanks Mr. Funk!

Tinymurderclown

Thanks for sharing your passing interest in the Eclipse, Pushead. The only negligible side effect now is me desperately wanting an Eclipse I!

I wonder if through the custom shop one can still order the old body shape with the round horn and four knobs.

Post to Thread