MII Deluxe Lic. Floyd Issue

Updated
MetalMadness

Hey Guys,

I did a little research on this topic on the boards here and around the web and have seen others running into similar issues. It sounds like most of the time it is normal wear and tear, but with the age of the bridge, parts, and the bridge itself are starting to get harder to find. Instead of resurrecting a 6 year old thread, I figured I would start a new one. Perhaps some new users have had the same issue since then.

http://www.espguitars.com/forums/1963218/posts/2048772-esp-mii-deluxe-and-trem-question

I took my guitar in to get some new pickups installed and the tech called me before he started the work. I mentioned to the staff I have been having some issues with fret buzz lately and if that could get looked at too I'd be happy. Anyway, he said the neck was super straight and there wasn't much that could be done about the buzz. But then he went on to mention the problem with the bridge. He said the knife at the pivot point is pretty well worn out and the guitar does not return to tune. Dive down and it returns flat, pull up and it comes back sharp. He also mentioned that the posts looked like they were leaning forward? I looked, but couldn't see it.

I just found the replacement trem bar for this guitar and haven't even used it yet, so I was not aware of this issue.

That being said, should I try looking for a less used ESP Lic trem? (The Kahler, I believe it's based off of their 2760 Steeler)

Or I have read the that 2760 should be a drop in replacement for a OFR. Would it work the other way around? Could I drop an OFR in there?

Also about the fret buzz, are there any remedies for this on the MII's?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

If more photos are needed let me know.

Pushead

I ended up replacing the bridge with an OFR last year. I had to widen the holes for the posts, but the rest was a simple drop in replacement.

MetalMadness

Awesome thanks for the info Pushead.

I measured the Kahler nut and it looks like it's 42mm. I see there is a few different 42mm options on the Floyd Rose website.

Which one did you go with?

Pushead

That was a bit of an adventure. I ended up buying a few different nuts, mostly because height of the nut vs the design of the nut shelf on the neck. To be honest, I don't remember which one is on the guitar. I seem to think it's an actual Floyd R3, but I'm not positive.

For the buzz, especially since it's an older guitar, a fret level and re-crowning may do wonders for you.

Manuel F.

By chance did you ever find out where to get replacement posts?..

MetalMadness

Hey Manuel,

Sorry for the late reply. I did the upgrade and love it. I will post some photos this weekend. If you love your guitar, it is well worth the money in my opinion.

I ordered a Kahler arm from that site but it didn’t fit in my trem, so that’s why I ended up doing the upgrade.

Manuel F.

Thank you for replying at all! Lol I saw this post was over a year old so I was like eh ill give it a shot. But yes I’d like to see your setup!

I’ve had this guitar for a long time and when I broke the post I stopped playing it. And that was like 3 years ago... but I’m trying to get back on finishing this guitar.

Manuel F.

Not sure if this will help anyone but I found where to buy the posts and other parts for this trem at whammyparts. com under kahler. Then find 2760 Steeler

Manuel F.

So I ordered the post off the site and perfect fit! So glad I found them. Gonna order a extra pair just in case lol. 

Manuel F.

david h.

what pickups are originally in the mid 90's m-ii's?

Manuel F.

They were Seymour Duncan’s. Not sure what the humbucker was maybe like a distortion? And a vintage hot rail in the neck 

Post to Thread