Question M-ii owners

Updated
ZeeW
Hi, First post.... I've been looking for an alternative to my good old HSS Strat for some time and recently, although only for a short time, I got to play an M-ii ntb with EMG 81's. I'm really into how well this guitar feels - especially the neck, as it seems to 'fit' me much better than my standard Strat. What I'm not sure is; can this guitar be used for grungy Texas style blues as well as what it is clearly designed for i.e Metal! I've started to drift back into some rock blues when I'm not thrashing around and I'm enjoying playing the Blues. So what do you think?
Zero

I think any guitar can be used for basically any style, that's all in your playing style. you might want to swap out the neck pickup for an EMG 60 or an EMG 89 (you'd have to add a second volume knob for the 89), to give you a pickup with a less sizzling-hot output, but I have no problem playing bluesy stuff on my Mirage Custom, which is essentially the same guitar.

ZeeW

...but I have no problem playing bluesy stuff on my Mirage Custom, which is essentially the same guitar.

Thanks for the comments!

load more replies (1 of 1)
The G.

if you got the chance, go for it! they are good guitars and you've got either a 2 hum or 1 single 1 hum setups to choose from.

ZeeW

Well I'm going to pull the trigger on a M-ii after spending some time with one yesterday. I was getting some great tones even at lower volumes, which really surprised me!

I'm 99% certain I will swap out one of the 81 for an 85.

My biggest problem was there was a beautiful Eclipse there too........... and I had a few moments with it. I totally different beast for feel and playability, but boy I need to save some cash for one of these too!

How come ESPs are so damn addictive!

antipole

They are quality guitars. They have a nice bang for the buck factor which used to be higher before the price hike. If price is a purchase factor, why not lookiing into a LTD? There are LTD M-II and Eclipse avaliable but even at LTD Delux range cannot compare with an ESP Standard. To me, they are different beasts.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ZeeW

I've been looking for a used M-ii in the UK for a while and keep coming up with nothing.

jl-austin

I own a M1. I have swapped out its EMG to a Duncan Full Shred. I tried the EMG 81, 85, Duncan Dimbucker, Duncan Distortion, and of course the Full Shred in it.

The EMG's just did not do it for me. I know some people like them, and that is cool, however for me, they just don't work.

If you ever think about changing out the pickups, I would highly recommend the Full Shred / Jazz combo. You would get your metal sound (with the Full Shred) as well as the blues tone (from the Jazz).

Also, I would also highly recommend the EMG 60 for the neck for blues, if you want to stay with actives. Another "neat" option is an EMG H or HA in the neck (they are single coils in a humbucker package) and an EMG 89 in the bridge (which is coil tap-able) so you can have a Single coil sound.

I have owned an EMG HA, it was a neat pickup, not quite a humbucker, not quite a single coil. Definitely a good pickup for clean tones. It would work REALLY well with a coil tap bridge pickup (EMG89 or 81-TW). The H and HA are over looked. They are really cool pickups though.

Post to Thread