ESP Viper Standard Baritone vs LTD VB-401

Updated
Hammerstrike
I'm seriously considering buying a Baritone, but I am a bit uncertain wether to go for the ESP version or the LTD one. ESP Viper Baritone (standard serie) - € 1550,- BODY: Mahogany NECK: Mahogany with White Binding FINGER BOARD: Ebony CONSTRUCTION: Set-neck SCALE: 27" TUNERS: Gotoh Magnum Lock BRIDGE: Gotoh Tune-matic HARDWARE COLOR: Black Nickel FRET: 24 / XJ NECK PICKUP: EMG60 BRIDGE PICKUP: EMG81 LTD VB-400/401 - € 650,- Body: Mahogany Neck/Fretboard: 3-pc. maple/rosewood with white binding Construction: Set neck Scale: 27” baritone Tuners: Grover tuners Bridge: Tune-o-matic w/stop tailpiece Hardware: Black Nickel Frets: 24 XJ Pickups: EMG 81 (B) / 85 (N) Active and a third option: LTD MHB 400/401 - € 700,- pretty much the same as the LTD Viper, but with neck-thru construction and string-thru bridge. I find it difficult to make a decision between these three. ESP Viper: Being used to Gibsons and high end Jacksons, an ESP seems more attractive than LTD, but that's mostly my biased first gut feeling (I just love Ebony fret-boards and think Rosewood looks cheap/ugly on a black guitar :p). I am curious about some specs of this guitar: This is the only one with a Mahogany neck, I've understood that Mahogany is warmer sounding than Maple, but on a Baritone, won't that get muddy? Or will the ESP baritone sound better than the LTD because of the used woodtypes in the neck/fingerboard? How do the Gotoh tuners relate to the Grover ones on the LTD's? And the EMG 60 vs the EMG 85? Does the overall quality difference (I assume the ESP has a bit higher grade wood etc) justify the double price compared to the LTD's? And how does the LTD VB-400/401 compare to the MHB model? Is it cheaper because of the stoptail bridge or set-neck construction? And how does that affect the tone?
MV-CTM

ESP one is set-through vs the regular set neck on the LTD if that makes a difference to you...if I had the cash I'd get the ESP.

Hammerstrike

Ok, that explains a bit, but how about the tone of the guitar (Mahogany neck)?
Won't it get muddy, because of the mahogany and low tuning?

Hammerstrike

That sounds annoying. After google-ing I've understand that screwing the strapbutton on the horn 'might' solve the problem, but not always :(

The MHB version just got a lot more interesting :/

MV-CTM

Neckdive isn'T a problem on my viper baritone with a moved strap button.

Hammerstrike

But it's stupid buying a € 1500,- guitar (or even a € 650,- guitar for that matter), when you have to drill an extra hole in it (which results in you losing your warranty and with the risk that you do something wrong) just to be able to play it properly.
And then I didn't mention that you have a meaninless hole in the bag of your guitar.

5150-Viper

move the strap button on the LTD model, exactly on the neck joint like a gibson SG.. i have done this on all my viper 400's and neck dive is 100% cleared everytime.. if you need a pic i can show you

Hammerstrike

A local guitarshop has the LTD GL600 FB for sale. (€ 850,-)
How does this one compare to the others?

I could do without the flames, and am a bit concerned about the pickups (wether I like them or not).

Otherwise I'm thinking about selling my gibson explorer double 90 and getting the ESP Viper.

OutlawTorn

and to answer the question....if you have the money get the ESP, there worth the extra $$$
why is everybody's vipers neck dive prone? my ltd doesnt neck dive at all :confused:

MV-CTM

the GL baritone is pretty slick, nice axe for sure

Dalton S.

I’ve had some head dive and found adding stick on lead wheel weights or stick  on golfer lead tape added inside the control cavity works great. Make sure you shield it after sticking the weights inside.

Post to Thread